BC Boards

My letter to the editor....

Sabreur

To be published Monday in Stars and Stripes, the newspaper for US forces overseas. First letter to the editor and I'm damned proud of it. I'm beginning to believe in "think globally, act locally"

Merry Christmas, MR

Subject: No puppy mill puppies for Christmas

I have been alarmed and saddened by the ads for

puppies, especially those highlighting the fact that

the pups will be available "just in time for

Christmas," that appear in your paper.

People considering adding a dog to their family should

think of the decision as more on the lines of having a

child than buying a toy. Far too many puppies are

purchased for all the wrong reasons, mistreated and

eventually abandoned. If you are thinking about

getting a dog, understand that you are making a

commitment for ten to fifteen years. If you are not

willing to make the commitment, don't get a dog.

Abandoning a dog because it has become inconvenient is

like abandoning a child because it has become

inconvenient.

Many breeders are also unscrupulous, selling puppies

only for profit. Particularly suspect are sellers who

offer multiple breeds, or appear to have dogs

available continuously. There are many websites that

offer good advice about evaluating breeders. Just a

few tips:

* Ask to see the puppy's parents.

* Ask to see where the puppies are being kept.

* Puppies shouldn't be separated from their mother

before ten weeks.

* Puppies should have vaccinations and the breeder

should provide you with their health records.

* If you are purchasing a particular breed, research

the genetic problems that the breed may face--a

responsible breeder will have had the necessary

medical screening done before selling the dogs.

* A good breeder should be willing to take the dog

back, regardless of reason, if you can no longer keep

it.

Two final notes: if you want a purebred dog, research

the breed. There was recently an ad offering Border

Collies and Dalmations. Both are high maintenance,

highly energetic breeds that require an enormous

amount of time and work. Border Collies, in

particular, require several hours of work a day, every

day, regardless of weather. Neither breed is

appropriate for a first-time dog owner, or someone who

does not have a lot of time to dedicate to the dog.

Finally: please consider rescuing a dog from a

shelter. Here in Germany, they do not kill dogs in

the animal shelters, but life in a Tierheim is still

not wonderful. There are many good dogs (cats, too,

if that's what you want) available to be adopted.

Many are already housebroken and trained. Puppies are

nice, but saving a good dog that has been abandoned is

a true gesture of Christmas.

Mark Ray

Thank you for taking the time to write. Every letter against puppy mills counts.

So many people simply don't realzie tht puppies in pet stores come from puppy mills - now called Commercial Dog Breeders.

I can't even convince my own family. It is an uphill battle. Every letter helps.

------------------

Mary Hartman

Kansas City, MO

Mark! You read my mind! I've been meaning to write such a letter to my local paper - though not just related to holiday pups, but generally, backyard breeders in a small town with lots and lots of rescues available.

So - may I have your permission to plagiarize your letter?!? (I'll change a few words to "localize" it...) Please?!?

And thank you for doing this!!

diane

Sabreur, I like your letter a lot, but I do have reservations about "Puppies shouldn't be separated from their mother before ten weeks."

I wonder if you have any particular basis for saying this. I've always liked to get a pup at seven weeks myself, and in the litters I've observed closely the pups all seem to show a very noticeable "turning outward" at 7-8 weeks, a shifting of their attention toward people, that makes it easy for them to make the transition at that time.

Mark, I too was interested in the 10-week age for puppies. I've always heard and read that 7 weeks is good; if that can't be done, to wait until 12. But I'm all ears on this one.

And I have no direct experience with puppy mills (thank goodness). My local concern is just ignorant backyard breeders - and nearly everything in the letter applies to them as well. Thanks for permission to use it!

diane

Mark, I too was interested in the 10-week age for puppies. I've always heard and read that 7 weeks is good; if that can't be done, to wait until 12. But I'm all ears on this one.

And I have no direct experience with puppy mills (thank goodness). My local concern is just ignorant backyard breeders - and nearly everything in the letter applies to them as well. Thanks for permission to use it!

And just for the interest of it....check out www.petmatch.com. One must log-in to get any details and I didn't; but it appears to be a web-based means to find a mate for your pet! Based in India, but covering a variety of countries. Oh my. How terrible.

diane

diane

Hi guys,

I based the 10 weeks on some things I've read here in Germany--they have, in some ways, more animal rights written into their legal system. Anyway, I recently read that puppies should stay with their moms for at least ten weeks--twelve weeks is better--the primary reason was that it helps them get socialized with other dogs.

However, I must admit that I don't have any real experience with this issue--all my dogs are rescues and the youngest was 6 months when I got him.

I put that it particularly because it would undermine the "have them ready for Christmas" thing.

Cheers, MR

Good letter! I just wanted to say, the 3 dogs I've had that left their mom at 8 weeks became bonded to me and wanted nothing more than to be with me. Mag, whom left his mom at 12 weeks, has a very little bond to me, and would probably not even notice a change in owners. Sure he knows how to act around other dogs, but at the age of 3 yrs has a stronger bond with my cat. Now of course this may just be a coincidence, but who knows.

Just though I'd share.

Cindy and Mag

>>I wonder how you all would define a puppy mill?<<

Sue,

I'll give you my definition for a puppy mill if it counts.

Breeding several bitches at one time and/or breeding several bitches on their every cycles.

Selling all the pups with the aid of advertising in any place where there are classifieds with painted pretty words.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

-------------------

It's better to be silent and thought the fool,than to speak and remove all doubt.

From what I understand, unless the breeder is a really crappy one that isn't doing anything at all to socialize the puppies to people, later is better than earlier because the pups then have more of a chance to learn doggie things from their mom and littermates. If you're getting a dog from a good breeder I don't know that there's an "optimal" age to take it home (but I also have never had a puppy either -- all my dogs have come to me as adults, and incidentally none of them have had problems bonding to me).

One minor quibble I have with the letter is that many excellent breeders will not have both sire and dam on premises. Actually, if someone is being careful to find the best match for a bitch, the odds of that match being in the same kennel are kind of low. Not saying it never happens, but the majority of nice litters across all breeds are probably sired by a dog that is off the premises. If a breeder had a lot of "breeding pairs" that would be a big red flag to me.

Great job with the letter. I hope many people read and understand it.

-- Melanie, Solo the Red, and The Fly