BC Boards

Limping problems

mydogMilton

Milton is a sensitive dog and after a lot of exercise he seems to have a slight limp. :rolleyes: At first I thought it could be growing pains since he's around seven months old, but now I'm starting to think differently. When the vet checked him about a month ago he looked fine to her..... Any suggestions?

p.s he is a rescue dog and I've only had him for three months so it might be a health deficiency, although he did fill out from his skinny look.

Which leg does he appear to be limping on? I would suggest that you reduce his exercise to an amount at which you do not see him limp. Young dogs can do damage to themselves by over-exercising. BC's are so enthusiastic that they often won't say "Ok, enough. I need a break." We need to say that for them.

If he was my dog, I would find a vet who might be a bit more expert if there is something wrong with a joint or muscle or whatever.

Thanks. The limping isn't too severe and he usally only limps two to four steps untill he is his normal self. I'll mention it more in depth when we next go to the vet, and start wacthing him more closely. The limping alternates, it seems, through all the legs, so I suppose it will be harder to pin-point it. Also he his definatly going to learn the command "that'll do"!

Young dogs can get something called panosteitis which is a pain in the long bones. Its usually larger breed dogs that get it, but its not impossible for a medium sized dog to get it. Usually they are quite painful if you squeeze the long bones themselves (femur in the back legs, humerus in the front legs). I've seen our vet do it and he'll squeeze the bones lower down and no reaction and when he squeezes the femur or humerous the dogs will whine or yelp or whip their head around to see what he's doing.

I'd also consider checking his hips for hip dysplasia and also having a good look at his pads to make sure they don't look bruised.

MyDogMilton, if you do a search of the Board site for "limping" or "limp" you will get more information than you ever bargained on. :rolleyes: There is some terrific advice out there because this is a topic that comes up a lot -- these BCs are energetic and enthusiastic dogs and because of that frequently get injuries.

Good luck and welcome to the Boards!

If it's a wandering lameness like you said, I'd think it was growing pains first and foremost. Most soft tissue and cartilige damage wont be a wondering lameness it will hold one leg and, on that one leg, my be on and off but will always be that one leg.

As others have said, I'd limit his activities and watch him. If it continues you may seek a second opinion.

My BestF's Heeler pup had a problem that was puzzling. He had an inconsistent limp on one leg. She took him in, had him xrayed everything and nothing could be seen. So, he was held to only walks for a while and it started to get better, after a while she increased his excercise and it would come back, well, it just took time, now at almost a year old he doesnt limp at all.

Again, if it's a wandering lameness, I'd go with it being growing pains.

Oh and Panosteitis is growing pains

Here's a good article

http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/lpano.htm

Ari,14 months old, limps after a rest when she has played hard.

I have limited her play and she is doing much better. We play ball or frisbee for a short time and then break and walk and then play agin, always with short breaks in between and this seems to be working well for us.

She did have a hip injury when she was about 4 months old that took over 6 months to heal and I dont want to take any chances with her injuring it again.

If you think Milton could be sore from too much exercise I would suggest slowing down a bit, you don't want to take any chances when he is so young.

I had a dog that I was "fostering" with the intentions to keep, and She limped after play as well. I took her to the vet after I had noticed this for awhile, and the vet told me that most likely she was hit by a car when she was younger. and that she should go through some physical Therepy. Her limp is now gone, and there shouldn't be any issues with it when she gets older, besides early artihites (SP?) LOL really can't spell :rolleyes:

I would just suggest "warming" his leg up Before play and then "cooling down" after play. to prevent any problems.

Elizabeth