BC Boards

6 mo. BC limping...joint supp. needed?

Brea78

I have a now 7 month border collie. He's used to going to the barn with me and playing or doing whatever he pleases for a couple hours a day. I had surgery a month ago and he has been at home with me. I throw the ball and he plays with another dog but is bored. The other day after playing ball for a few hours off and on, he started limping, that was Friday and he still has a subtle limp.

Do people usually give joint supplements to active dogs like bc's, cattle dogs, etc?

They shouldn't really need it, though some feel kibble is lacking in this respect and supplement proactively.

This is the prime age for both puppy pano and elbow issues (dysplaysia). You should definitely get your pup to a vet. Pano is more of a nuisance than anything and is not a permanent problem, but does need some managing. Elbow dysplaysia can be caused by too much repetitive motion, too early. It is degenerative and a serious problem which requires treatment.

So the short answer is, you need your vet to find out what's going on.

Hi Brea, good to see another Coloradoan here! Hate to say but seeing the vet would be my best advice also. My now 19 month old came up with a limp after our morning run at 11 months. The vet xrayed her hips and she had pretty serious HD which led to a double TPO. Derry now seems more active than pre-surgery. The limp could be just a minor ding. But it could be a sign of major issues, have her checked out. :rolleyes:

-jay

One of my pups had puppy pano - one day he just couldn't walk and he had a high fever. After rushing him to the emergency vet (of course these things happen on weekends or holidays!), it turned out to be basically growing pains (long bone). Very painful growing pains. I don't think all pups with pano have the high fever or all legs involved. It varies and can switch from one leg to another leg until they are grown.

Anyway - I'd take him in to the vet if I were you.

And another thing.....I too had a very active youngster, and throwing a ball or other toy was great - she loved it and would do it for hours. Never thought much about it. Now she is 10.5 yr old, and has (according to her vet) "the elbows and shoulders of a 1 yr old, and the feet of an old working dog." Basically, arthritis and inflammation. She would STILL chase a ball or whatever for hours. But she cannot do anything calmly or with any concern for her body, and when she gets to the item, does a very abrupt turn, which has to be hard on her feet.

So - we just don't do much of that anymore, just to her dismay.

Just be careful! You want that dog mobile for a Very Long Time!

diane