BC Boards

Hyaluronic Acid

jenkshipley

Has anyone given their dog this supplement as a joint support? It is used as a human joint supplement and I am wondering if it is safe for dogs. See below:

Hyaluronic Acid holds more water than any other natural substance making it an excellent supplement to help maintain smooth, elastic skin. Hyaluronic Acid plays an important role in the hydration and lubrication of tissue. It s amazing hydrating properties can support increased smoothness, softening and decreased wrinkles. Hyaluronic Acid, a special mucopolysacharide, can also provide a cushion effect even in joints with little or no cartilage. Hyaluronic Acid is a compound present in every tissue of the body, with the highest concentrations occurring in connective tissue such as skin and cartilage. It is the normal lubricant of healthy human joints. Hyaluronic Acid is an important constituent of joint fluid where it serves as a lubricant and supports joint flexibility and mobility

Thanks!

Jen Shipley

Flute AAD,ASA,AX,OAJ,OEC,OGC,NJC

ADCH Enna TM,AX,AXJ

Fever - BC pup in training!

Hey Jen,

Who needs joint support?

Solo was recently diagnosed with serious degenerative arthritis in his right hip. Old injury, dysplasia, who knows. He's getting around all right but his agility career is over.

Anyway, he's getting Synovi-G3 granules, fish oil + vitamin E, and Metacam with meals now (he's been on joint support for a while, the orthopedist added the Metacam) and I'll probably start him on Adequan injections soon.

Hope you and the girls are well!

I have a veterinarian write a prescription for the pharmacy to compound injectible GAGs for my senior gelding. It's significantly less expensive than purchasing brand name pharmaceuticals such as Adequan (which I have also used) or Cosequin. MSM may also be helpful as supplement--it's an anti-inflammatory.

Melanie, I'm sorry to hear about the end to Solo's agility career.

****Hi Melanie! How is California treating you?

Solo was recently diagnosed with serious degenerative arthritis in his right hip. Old injury, dysplasia, who knows. He's getting around all right but his agility career is over.

***Flute was diagnosed with mild dysplasia that has caused some degenerative arthritis in the left pelvic area. She started cooling down sore last June. Xrays showed mild dysplasia. She was off for four months and then trialed a bit through the early Fall of last year. About last October, when the weather turned cooler she started to get significantly sore after even a walk off lead. An hour after any exercise, she would be on three legs. I tried Acupuncture, laser treatments and then Adequan injections. Nothing seemed to help and I fully retired her.

This Spring, when the weather got warmer and the pool went back up for the season, she really improved. She put quite a bit of muscle bulk back on her left rear and showed no signes of lameness. Flute would rather do agility then breath, so I put her in some Performance and Preferred one class a day or one a weekend. When that showed no signs of causing her dicomfort, I put her back into Championship and ran her one or two classes per weekend this year.

I have her on Glucosomine, Chondrointin, MSM, Cetylpure, fish oil with vitamin E, bromelain and now DL-Phenylalanine or DLPA, which I have found very effective. She also gets lots of Vitamin C in the RAW diet that I feed her and trachea and freshly ground ginger.

I am always, continuously researching and looking for natural supplements that I can give her to treat her current arthritis and prevent further degeneration.

Two weeks ago, she strained a shoulder being crazy Flute so is now off from any agility again, but so far her hip is really doing well on the current supplement regimen. I am doing whatever I can to avoid NSAIDS.

I am sorry to hear about Solo. You can definitely try DLPA.

Hope you and the girls are well!

**The girls are great. I have a new addition. I'll Email you pictures. She is my new BC pup. She is 11 months now. Rising Sun's Hot to the Touch, a.k.a. Fever. She is from Rising Sun out of Shey by their new stud, Cub. She is a wonderful little dog.

Nice chatting with you.

Best,

Jen