BC Boards

repelling stableflies ?

Zoe

I have searched, but can't find. I got a link but when I tried it, I got a "this topic does not exist message".... Last Summer we went to the Mountains and Dylan was plagued by what I can only describe as stableflies. They would follow and attack him without provocation - ie; he is walking along minding his own business and they seek him out.They bite hard and draw blood. I also got bitten. He had a hard time.We plan to go camping this summer and I am worried that he may be similarly plagued. Last summer made me realize that a dog who might not normally want to be out of sight of it's handler may run away in fear if scared enough. Thankfully, he didn't. He ran to me for protection, but.... we never know. I will be super-vigilant. He has a very good "leave it" command so won't chase wasps or anything like that. But these stable fly things chase him :rolleyes: We are going to a new place so he will be on a long line but for his own peace of mind, can anyone recommend anything to help repel something like a stablefly. I have read that citronella is good but I have also read that it is a punishment used in an anti-barking device... I also have a catalogue of products available in Japan. There is one called " alt ( PETS )" from Australia. Sounds like it is natural and citronella based but VERY expensive.If you have any other recommendations, he'd be really grateful !

Safe, but not yet quite happy with a tired Mum at the end of our hike last year ! DSCN1970.jpg

Zoe,

Two things I use to keep flies off my dogs are both horse products. Ultrashield is a spray (says it's also for dogs), and I believe it has citronella and is water-based so doesn't leave the dog greasy. I also use Swat (by Farnam). It now comes in a clear gel. I use that on ears, noses, etc., but mainly ears where biting flies will just attach themselves. I have seen ears eaten away by such flies. The down side of Swat is that it's thick and greasy. But it works great and it stays on for a good length of time so doesn't require frequent reapplication. Anyway, I have had good success with both products.

The Ultrashield in rather expensive, but mine has lasted a long time (I still have the same bottle, nearly full, that I bought more than a year ago). Here is one site that carries both and has decent prices:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/category.asp?...hcd2=1152721702

Julie

Recently the local monthly horse publication had an article rating the effectiveness of various (equine) fly repellents. Significantly most effective were those that contained permethrins and pyrethrins as can be found in most horse fly sprays. I've heard mixed reports on the predators. If you live in a vacuum, I've heard they work well, but if your neighbor has livestock and has a fly control problem...you'll most likely have one as well.

I've had pretty good results with the fly predators. There's a couple things to keep in mind though: 1) the predators don't prey on all types of flies (e.g., they are not effective against deer flies, black flies, horse flies, etc. in our area) and 2) you must have the *right type* of predator for the flies in your area. In addition, the fly predators really need to be used as part of a comprehensive fly control program to be most effective.

Kim

Julie, thank you very much for the link. I would never have thought to use a product for horses. I checked their homepage - now I have to decide which one to go for ! I'm kind of thinking of getting " Bugblock " or " DEO ". They don't give an awful lot of info. so maybe I'll get in touch with them.

Nancy, thanks for mentioning that article. I see that the SWAT that Julie uses contains the pyrethrins that you mention.

Penny, thanks for that. The mosquito repellents that DH uses on himself contain deet. I don't bother with them much as the bites don't bother me. If I do use something, I avoid the "spray" on kind. DH likes the sprays, however. I have told him not to spray himself anywhere near Dylan but that was because of my own dislike of said sprays. I thought it coudn't be good for Dylan either. I'll be careful and pass that information on.