BC Boards

Rabies vaccine recall

Fort Dodge has recalled its RabVac 3 TF serial number 873113A rabies vaccine, after a vaccinated dog contracted rabies. Fort Dodge began selling this batch of vaccine in January 2005 and sent recall notices out on May 25, 2006. Your vet should notify you if your dog was vaccinated with the problem batch. You can also check the rabies certificate that you should have received, which lists the manufacturer and serial number. If your dog did receive the recalled vaccine, s/he should be revaccinated as soon as possible.

Further details can be found here.

I just had Minnie vaccinated for rabies last week. The vet tech told me they had just received a notice from the manufacturer (not sure if it was Fort Dodge or another) that a two year old lot of their rabies vaccines were mis-labeled as 3 year vaccines, when they were in fact one year vaccines. :rolleyes:

When I got home, I looked at all my dogs' rabies certificates and found that Rook, Tweed and Ada all were vaccinated last year with the RabVac3 made by Fort Dodge. I called my vet's office back and informed them of this... unfortunately the vet had already left for the day so I now have to wait to hear back from him this morning. They used Fort Dodge rabies vaccine last year, but they had not heard about any recall until I told them about it. So, Fort Dodge has not contacted them.