BC Boards

Depression

Any ideas on how to keep (or ease)a dog from being depressed?

We are in the process of moving and my husband will be moving first- then my "boys" and I will follow in 2-3 months. One of our dogs is especially attatched to him. He was around more in Koa's puppyhood (finishing grad school while I worked), and has been home with him the past 3 months. I am concerned about Koa because when he was 6 months old my husband had to go out of town for 2 weeks and this pup made himself sick- extremely loose stools, legarthy, just moping- looking for my husband. Now Koa is 1 1/2 years old and I'm worried about how he will react.

Any thoughts ideas on how to ease this guy from the depression that will most likely start this week? Koa(BC X) has a younger brother Hampton, who embodies what a BC is- full of energy, loves to play always looking for a job to do, etc- but I doubt he will totally take koas mind off the missing family member(Koa although very border collie looking is more content on the couch next to his family than running crazy around).

No dog parks within 45 minutes of us either :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any ideas/ advice!

Char, Hampton and Koa

Originally posted by Hampton's friends:

Any ideas on how to keep (or ease)a dog from being depressed? I am concerned about Koa because when he was 6 months old my husband had to go out of town for 2 weeks and this pup made himself sick- extremely loose stools, legarthy, just moping- looking for my husband. Now Koa is 1 1/2 years old and I'm worried about how he will react.

My female sheltie sank into a depression after my male died last year, so I understand your concern. It's very painful to watch. The best I can think of is trying to spend special time with Koa -- training, playing, taking walks. It helps a little but sometimes dogs just need to grieve. My girl came out of her depression after about 2 months -- about the time your husband will be gone :rolleyes: Too bad you can't make Koa understand that your husband will be returning. I guess just be there for him and let him know that he's important to you.

I'm glad someone brought this subject up and I'm sorry to hear about your situation :rolleyes: , at least it isnt permanent. I'm concerned as to how Bailey will react when my hubby has to go on detachment (more than likely Iraq for four months or so- great huh?). I was thinking of just leaving one of steves (worn) t-shirts lying about for Bailey to see if that comforted him.

Could you get your hubby to send you his laundry? :D

Claire and Bailey

My husband left his favorite sweatshirt (Not needed in Mexico) for Koa. I took my husband to the airport this morning- he said goodbyes to our pups- but when I got back home Koa ran past me looking for him... :rolleyes: Breaks my heart wish I could just send him to mexico, but we're not sure of our housing yet and then he'd likely miss me... He'll definitely be getting extra attention and extra walks...

Char, Ham and Koa