BC Boards

Not BC, but strange behavior

I have a very dog-savvy cat, named Milo. He's been with me all of 9 years, and since he was two weeks old he was raised collectively by myself and a 75 lb chocolate lab. (Which explains why he is so dog-savvy!)

Anyway, as most of you know (for the time being at least) I live in the basement apartment of a home. I have an exterior entrance, but there is alo an entrance into the house. On the other side of this door lies the subject of curious behavior...

My landlords have an australian cattle mutt, named Lacey. Lacey will lie at this door for *hours*, nose to the crack at the bottom, making tiny squeaky-whimpering noises once in a while....why? because Milo is on the other side.

At first we just giggled at it, and assumed they were just dating, or whatever. (Milo can be quite the pimp, after all!) but thish as gone on for weeeeeks!!! We'll open the door so Lacey can have a look at him, and Milo will rub noses and Lacey just starts shaking all over with contained excitement, and her tail is wagging furiously, and she's all tensed up! This happens every time we open the door for them two to see one another.

Its gotten to the point where Lacey rarely spends time with her family, she's at the door so often.

Now, its not because she has never seen a cat before. She has lived with two cats since she was brought into the household at 8 wks of age. So she knows what cats are, and all. My landlord's cats are around her all the time.

So, what is up? Is she in love with my cat? Have you ever heard of a dog obsessing over another animal to this point??

Maybe it's just a case of "you always want what you can't have"? It sounds like she's just really interested in the cat - Maggie does the whiney thing when I'm playing with my guinea pig and she wants to sniff her but I won't allow it lol.

Libby does that with bunnies. And eventually she will get them to come to her. She never harms them, Marshmallow got out in the yard while I was at the hospital delivering Jared and he was found under the porch with Libby snuggled up. Milo is playing hard to get. He has her number. LOL The good news for me is this only works with the bunny in the pen not the wild things. If it worked on the wild ones, I could never have a garden living next to the woods.

You know its funny you mention it. I was thinking today, about my dog obsessing over the cat. She knows if she isnt in the garage at night that she has to lay on the bed. (so I know she's not off peeing somewhere lol) She will go on all edges of the bed following the cat around. If I say the cats name she runs to the cat. I did catch her nibling on his neck today, so I dunno if she's herding him, or what the deal is. But she get so excited when he pays attention to her. He of course teases her and meows and walks around her.. lays down within inches from her... SO yeah, my dog obesses as well. But I do wonder why. It is wierd I agree.