BC Boards

Medicated shampoo?

Miztiki

Lucy saw a different vet than Boyden sees and she gave us a medicated shampoo. Says bathe the dog once a week for 4 weeks. It's called Histacalm and the active ingredient is Diphenhydramine (2%).

Should I do this? She hates baths according to her previous owners. Her new diet will surely help alot. She recently had a problem with fleas but not anymore. She's got some itch pills to help get her through the transition.

I'm leaning towards not doing this. What do you think?

Hi, Miztiki,

The diphenhydramine is generic for Benadryl, so basically, you're applying a topical antihistimine at the same time you're bathing her.

Is her coat already showing any improvement? If there's any improvement at all, I'd call the vet and see if I could get a topical diphenhydramine spray just for her still itchy areas and put off the bathing for a while. Even clipping the hair away a bit for the spray might be helpful.

I made the mistake of bathing Shonie the 2nd week after we got her. She needed it, but she wouldn't go in the back yard for months after that if I was out there, it really flipped her out. She tolerates bathing fine now, doesn't love it, but does ok.

BTW, I think that if everybody who got a bc or (any dog, really) showed as much devotion and concern as you do, the world would be a better place.

Ruth n the BC3