BC Boards

How long does or should it take for

karrie

puppy food to digest?

Reason I ask is Sam is on Iams puppy ( breeder had him on it to start with so I cont.).. Sam ate 2 hours of so before we went for a drive to pick kids up...He was doing Great! He has had car sickness in the past ~mega slobber... but on this day no slobber and he really was enjoying himself...Course Libby was not helping when she blocked his ability to move around behind the seats next thing I know he hurls....Okay... no biggie I clean and soothe the little guy.... he was fine all the way back home. But I noticed the Iams food was still intact not digested... struck me as unusual. Lately Sam has been having gas too... stools are nice and firm so no problem there. Thinking of changing his food. My other dogs have all had Pedigree puppy and did great...But now they have all these new dog foods...I'm curious about the Diamonds and the Chicken for the Soul( I think that is the name). Anyone had experience with them ? Did you noticed how well it digested ( how long in the tummy)? I don't want to just change his foods around... I thought about getting a sample of each and seeing how he did but maybe that would upset his tummy especially going from one to another then another. He gets doggie biscuits as treats no problems there... and none of them were present in the hurl...so atleast they digested. Thoughts?

Kibble takes a LONG time to leave the stomach. Like, hours. Altogether, it can take up to eighteen hours to completely digest (out the other end). So the answer to your question is, no, that's nothing to worry about, that Sam threw up intact kibble after just a couple hours. I've noticed the same with even the most premium feeds, so switching brands won't make a huge difference there. But, Iams is one of the yuckier foods so you may as well if you are thinking about it. I'd rather feed Purina ProPlan or ONE than Iams, frankly, and HAVE.

Corn is particuarly hard to digest and so are wheat and soy, so when shopping around look for foods as free as possible from those. I think Chicken Soup is pretty good - it was my emergency food for a long time. Now Merrick has come out with a kibble I really like the looks of - we're testing it out here to see whether it might be a good alternate. 23% protein, 12% fat - hallelujah! And oatmeal, barley and rice are the only grains. It does have flax seed so I'm testing it on Ben, my canary in the mine. We'll see. They get the Merrick for breakfast and their usual raw meat meal for dinner. So far they look good. :rolleyes:

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=14&s=20268

I love Merrick canned so we'll give this a whirl.

Becca and Kim,

What size bags does the kibble come in? I went to the link Becca provided and saw the ingredients and price, but have no idea how much you get for that price!

I'm needing to get dog food soon and would consider combining this with their chicken soup but really need to know how much I'm getting for $17+.

Oh, never mind--I found it. $17.78 for 5 lbs would break me with 7 dogs. :rolleyes:

Karrie,

Once I had to dose everyone with H2O2 because of a rat poison scare. I feed early in the morning (around 6), and the drenchng took place at something like 11:30 at night. There was still whole kibble in the vomit, and I feed a high-quality food without corn. I was surprised to see whole kibble, but I understand it's not completely unusual.

J.

http://tinyurl.com/6733w for prices more comparable to what I paid. Wow, $18 for five pounds, where was THAT? I paid $45 for 30 pounds, not great when compared to the CSFDS but I had terrible problems with shedding and gunky teeth on that. We'll see whether the Merrick does better over a short-term run. That's all I want since I just want something for emergencies.

Laura,

I would like to talk to you about your co-op....

Becca,

The price I quoted was to order directly off the Merrick site, either the link you posted or the one Kim posted. Since I would mix it with Chicken Soup or something else, $45 for 30 pounds isn't quite so bad, though still a bit steep.

J.

thanks! Now I can stop panicking that the little guy isn't getting enough food cause it is taking so long to digest. Thanks for the tip on the grains to watch for... I really want Sam to be nice and healthy. He is a daredevil now so I can really see him going into agility.... so really healthy bones and muscles are very important for him.

That price was on the Merrick site, no shipping, but awful pricey. The 30# bags were over $60.

I pay $38 (plus tax) for California Natural Lamb and Rice here in WV. I hate paying that much but I like the simple ingredients (lamb meal, brown rice, rice, sunflower oil, and vitamins and minerals), 21% protein and 11% fat.

I really like how nice the dogs do on it, with the addition of a tablespoon of bacon grease or beef grease added.

The dog with beef allergies does wonderfully on it. All three have great coats (and I attribute part of that at least to the fat I add) and lots of energy. They all eat it very well.

Thanks Kim, I'm looking to rotate foods right now, but I think I'll try Canidae this time around b/c I can get 40# for $26. :rolleyes: My co-op doesn't currently carry Merrick.

Just curious for all you food experts out there, what makes a dog lose weight on a particular food? What I feed now is 25-28% protein (yes I know it's high) and 15-18% fat and it's hard to keep weight on my girls. I've heard a lot of dogs gain weight on Canidae, which is why I'm going to try that out next.

Julie, I'll email you about the co-op.