BC Boards

aural hematoma

CoRayBee

Hi to all,

I was wondering if anyone has had to experience aural hematomas on their dogs before? A friend of mine has a 22 month GSD that just had surgery to treat his and while I realize it's not REALLY a border collie question per se, it is a doggy health question and she's not having much luck on her GSD web board. I thought I would try to help her out and ask on MY board of choice :rolleyes:

The main problem is that this dog is a bit of a bast**d when it comes to cleaning his ears at the best of times, and now one is sore. My friend is using a 'colloidal silver' spray (?)which seems to be helping (and keeps her fingers out of reach of his pearly whites.) Does anyone have any other suggestions re: treatment/pain relief/etc? She is a holistic-minded person but I think she'd be open to any sort of help.

Thanks in advance.

That's okay- any comments are better than none at all, in this case. Thanks for the endorsement for colloidal silver. I have to admit I've never heard of it (although I suppose that's a good thing because it means I've never had a need for it, right? :rolleyes: ) What sort of uses does it have?

I would suggest she get in touch with her vet and ask for some sort of Oral pain meds. It can be a great help and will stop the association with pain and messing with the ears. Also there are topical antibiotics with pain releivers in them as well.

Andrea D.