BC Boards

17 yr old bc with nasal discharge

muggs

My ancient bc who looks great but has arthritis and cataracts, started having bad light greenish disharge from his nose last Thursday. I took him to the vet Friday - they did x-rays of body and chest (thinking congestive heart failure), but his lungs were clear and there was no signs of fluid. There was also no fever (101.5 temp). They prescribed Clovamax antibiotic. Still today, no change. The poor guy panics when his nose fills. I'll be taking him back if no change today or tomorrow (I'm not sure how long before the antibiotics should work). Anyone else had this health issue? Maybe a virus?

I've never seen or heard of this before but my vet way back in NYS told me that greenish pus was a sign of a particular bacteria. I can't remember what it was called but I am surprised your vet didn't say anything about that.

How about an abscessed tooth draining out through the sinuses?

How about having a culture and sensitivity done?

My foster dog just went through this and the Clavamox didn't do squat. I made my vet switch her to Doxyxcylcin (sp) based on some stuff I had read, and she started getting better within 24 hours. You might consider switching to a stronger anitbiotic.

RDM

Thanks for the suggestions!! I actually would prefer it to be a bacteria since that is treatable. I'll ask for a stronger antibiotic as you mentioned. The vet was a new one in the office, and I didn't feel there was much evaluation, especially of the teeth (I didn't think of that). I have a 16 week old pup as well and don't want two sick dogs!

Thanks again!

I am having no luck with the Clavamox for Tex'x cough. This is our first week of second prescription and if anything he's worse. Cough, cough, cough, retch all night long.

I've curtailed his outside time if the air is really cold and I'm using Robitussin to suppress. Tex has not had a bordetella vaccine in the last year. Does anyone have a recommendation/sure-fire cure for kennel cough (now bronchitis)?

Originally posted by Bounce:

I am having no luck with the Clavamox for Tex'x cough. This is our first week of second prescription and if anything he's worse. Cough, cough, cough, retch all night long.

My vet gave us Torbutol but I didn't find it did much good, though some people think it's lovely. I did find her coughing subsided greatly on the Doxycyclin (as did the snot). It's worth a shot.

RDM

Bounce, I was having no luck with Boyden's ear infection. I did the drops for 10 days like the vet said, but today I cleaned his ears out and they're still nasty.

Took him to another vet today and they did a swab and he's got a yeast infection. They gave me a different medicine to do for 10 days, then stop 10 days, then do 10 more days. I guess it can come back, so you have to get it the second time around too.

Maybe you should get a second opinion on Tex? Whatever he has, it should be getting better not worse. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.