BC Boards

Cream based ear cleaner??

BigD

A while back I posted about little Miss-stinky-ear. Lots of wax deep in the ear with lots of scratching and a bit of a stink to it.

We took Marzipan to the vet and had him check it. No mites or bugs or infection. He gave us some "Ear flushing drying lotion" and told us to use it every day until we get it under control.

Well, Marzipan is OK (not happy, but OK) with use using a Q-tip to get out the gunk. But she does NOT like the liquid in the ear. She will go and hide when she see's the bottle come out now. We've fed her treats while doing it, made sure she was tired, etc. It's not working and really, it's not worth it to me. She's now starting to have more of an issue with us just touching her ears, and I'm not happy with that.

So, before it gets to the point of her not allowing us to touch her, I'd like to know if there is a cream based or powder based dryer that will work for us. Like I said, it's an over production of wax - no infection and it's deep in her ear. A pad really doesn't get deep enough to get to it. Q-tips work better. It's only in one ear.

Any suggestions? The vet only had liquid based drying solutions.

Does the cream or powder work better? I'd expect that Marzipan would be more comfortable with teh powder as it won't make noise or be cold.

Thanks!

Denise

OK - this will sound weird but it helped my acd big time.

We went to the chiropractor and they manipulated her ear. Problem is solved for the time being and it has been almost 2 weeks.

The problem was going on for about 2 months and the vets also said there was nothing wrong.

The chiro said that sometimes the whatever it is kind of blocks the drainage ability. Foster did throw up that night but I think it was because it was finally draining into her throat.

She is so much better now

Denise, do you warm the lotion before you put it in? Cold stuff inside your ear - gives me goose bumps just to think about.

I use a simple vinegar/water rinse in Shonie's ear about when her ears get gunky. They're much better now that we've got her food allergies under control, but sometimes in spring and fall, she needs a bit of a tune up. We use a vinegar/water mix, about 1 tbs vinegar to a cup of water, warmed up. Vet told me to soak 2 or 3 cotton balls in it, put them gently down her ear canal, massage for 2 minutes, then remove. Works great, she hates it, but it's only 3 or 4 times a yr, so I don't worry about it that much. The warming up really helped.

Ruth n the BC3

Originally posted by BigD:

...But she does NOT like the liquid in the ear. She will go and hide when she see's the bottle come out now.

That sounds familiar! :rolleyes:

Except your problem is a mirror image to ours. You know how he hated the bottle from day one, ran and hid, growled if I brought it to his ear...

Except now I can do both ears with no fuss or struggling. He doesn't really like it, but he tolerates it. When we're done he rubs his ears all over EVERYTHING! :D

We're done with the daily medication now, but I'll still look in his ears, touch them, swab them out w/a cotton ball, etc., so that he doesn't have a problem with me messing with his ears.

Maybe you can find another medium to remove the wax build up (cream, powder), but it's possible at some point you will need to squirt medication into her ears, so no point sweeping the problem under the rug. If I can do it, I know you can!

Oh and what are you feeding the dog? My poodle gets nasty ears depending on the food I give him. He was prone to ear infections but those are under control since we switched him to Canidae. I have tried switching foods but his ears get ralyl nasty again so he only gets canidae.

You may want to think about trying a new food for a few months.