BC Boards

How to get a urine sample?

CaelinTess

She has something wrong, not sure what. We have an appointment at the vet tomorrow at 12:15. That was the earliest they could take her. She has blood in her urine. This just started today. It may have started this morning but I did not notice bloody urine until just now. Tess does all her potty breaks on leash so can I be sure she went and then give her freedom in the house.

They said to get a urine sample! How am I to do this?

Tess is just miserable. She is moping and looks very unhappy. I feel just awful. My poor dog.

This will be a new vet for us, so I am taking all her proof of shots, etc.

My poor doggie. :rolleyes:

Allie & Tess

I'm sorry to hear about Tess. Hopefully it is just a bladder infection.

I've had to do this before, quite a few times. Our old dog Maile was diabetic and we had to check her sugar levels in her urine, frequently, for the last 2-1/2 years of her life.

It helps if Tess will pee on command. At least take her out to go when you know she is likely to need to go, and stay with her until she pees.

Put on a disposable glove so you won't be hesitant about getting the container under her. Take a CLEAN wide-mouth jar or cup (plastic or paper will do fine). Just hang out with her until she squats and quickly put the cup or jar under her to catch some of her urine. You don't have to get a huge amount, but get whatever you can. If it's not already in a clean jar with a lid, transfer the sample and put on the lid.

They could put in a catheter to get a sample, but that is a last resort (more expensive, harder on the dog).

Good luck! I hope it's nothing serious.

Deanna in OR

Tess will pee on command ("Get busy!" :rolleyes: ) but she is very low to the ground when she goes. I mean, like, there is no room for a cup. Do you think I could use a LID to catch it and then put it into a different clean container? Would that hold enough? How much do they need, do you think?

I hope she does not think I am doing something scary. She is already reluctant to just go outside now, because it hurts to pee and usually when I take her out to play or for a walk, we stop to pee first. I took her out and played a little game first before asking her to go last time. I'll have to do that until she's feel better. I'm also going to have to have her pee in different parts of the yard! She thinks it hurts to pee in her regular spot and she gets that look like I am trying to scare her on purpose if I walk over that way.

Hopefully they can test the sampe tomorrow right away and give us some pills!

At least I don't have trouble with giving her pills. She hears the pill bottle and comes running. "CHEESE! Where is my CHEESE??" :D

Allie & Tess

Sorry she's not feeling well. I like to take a well washed plastic take out food container, wide and flat, put the little beastie on a leash, and be ready to squat quickly and tuck that plate under there! The wider surface makes it not as crucial to position it just right. Then I pour into a clean jar w/a lid, and get it to the vet as soon as they open.

As Deanna said, you don't need more than a tbs or so. And it's easier to do than it sounds.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Ruth n the Border Trio

Thanks. If all I need is a little bit, I am hopeful I can get it. A take-out container is a good idea, but still a little bit high up. Tess is nearly ground level when she pees, but I will give it a try. The wider area will help, I think. I will be sure and take treats out with me. If I do something crazy and give her a treat, she does not seem to get too upset (worked with the Dremel, after all).

I hope she is ok. She must be feeling pretty bad as she has been quiet all afternoon. :rolleyes: She is also making unhappy noises. :D

I will let you all know what I find out. Thanks for your help and ideas.

Allie & Tess

Allie, take some kitchen scissors and cut the sides off, down to maybe a quarter inch high. Used microwave dinner trays are great for this.

I know what you mean - Sammi squats to go kind of high, but Shonie gets her little bottom right on the ground. Make sure you do the first pee in the morning, that's important.

I feel sorry for Tess, I've only ever had one bladder infection, and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck, very very crummy.

Ruth n the Border Trio

the vet is most likely going to need at least 6 cc's. but dont worry, if you cant catch it, they can extract it too. and there are many accurate tests with bloodwork. i see a lot of dogs come in for this, and it usually is something harmless. its good you caught it early.

When my daughter's ACD, Nellie, had problems with struvite crystals in her urine, Lisa would take a clean ladle (and you can find some pretty small-bowled ones, with reasonable length handles), and follow Nellie around the yard until she squatted, slipped that ladle under, and made a good catch of urine.

Made the neighbors wonder, however! LOL

Tess has a UTI. We got a bunch of pills and Tess may need an operation if she has reccurent UTIs because of a troublesome flap of skin.

But she is OK and we are all glad. Her weight is just perfect, too, they said, at 42 pounds. She looks good, they said. They said this even as she was snarling at them for taking her temperature. :rolleyes:

Tess got a whole bunch of new toys at the pet store on the way home. It is her 1st birthday tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for all your help in getting the urine sample. It helped us stay away from the needles and various ultrasound things and my dog having to go into freak mode because I would not have been allowed in the back where they do the cysto.

Allie & Tess

Marzipan had numerous UTI's when she was 3 to 5 months old. Probably 1 every 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

the vet gave me a bunch of syringes to take home. I was instructed to get the 1st pee O' the day. I have a 1/4 cup measuring cut just for this purpose. Small enough to get under he little bum, but not freak her out. Then I would use the syringe to suck it up and put in the fridge until the vet was open.

I'm glad it's just a UTI, from what I've heard, it's common in the females. I'm thankful as I just have NO idea how I would go about getting a urine sample from my leg lifting male! Now that would be a mess!

D