BC Boards

Mange Mites

INU

I did my reading while I was waiting for her to be released. Most vets use Mitaban for 3-6 times but sometimes they dispense so that clients can do it at home. My vet said he wouldn't dispense and it would cost me 400 bucks for 6 treatments. He is going to do Hydrosurge Bath then Hydrosurge Dip-mitaban next three months and that's just basic stuff you must do otherwise it could spread out the entire body.

I agreed to do it in two weeks since my insurance might cover it but when I got home, my boyfriend called up his family vet who lives in another city. That vet is almost non-profit vet who dedicate his time on rescuing animals just like some of you on this board. He usually recommend his clients to buy some products at petstore and try it out only if the bold stot is small. If doesn't work, he can take care after.

My vet showed me this 3 minutes video about Mange Mites when i arrived tonight. The video was basically showing why and how it happens and tells you not to treat at home. Without a complete care by vet, it could cause death (I think it said that). He also showed me the actual mites that were still moving...

Originally posted by INU:

There was a little scratch on her head that I thought was caused when she was playing with the lab. last few days it has gotten bigger and she was scratching it so it was a good chance to ask the vet. He said it was Mange Mites that she probably got from her mom. When I got her she was 8 weeks old, she also had a small bold spot on her elbow, but the vet (different one that I had problems with) said it was just a scratch and neosporin would fix it(and it sure did).

Oh and he said it's not really contageous unless the dogs are really close. Is that right?

There are two types of mange - demodex and sarcoptic. All dogs have demodex, but generally dogs with a suppressed immune system or underlying problem will experience problems with a rapid multiplication of the mites, hence the sores and scratches. Demodex is generally not contagious.

Sarcoptic mange IS contagious - I believe it is also known as "scabies."

If your dog has demodex, it could easily be cured or it could take a long time and a lot of money to cure. It really depends on the dog. I would listen to your vet, as there are no real "home remedies" for mange. However, I would also look at options to strengthen the dog's immune system to help the dog fight the mange.

RDM

INU, are the mites you saw like little cigar-shaped things with stubby little legs, or do they look more like a crab?

The cigar-shaped ones are demodex. MOST dogs outgrow this, and unless it becomes generalized, it does not require treatment. RDM is right in that it generally isn't considered contagious (though technically it is, since pups get it from their mothers during nursing). However, since every dog has it, and most live with it comfortably without harm, we generally don't worry about it unless it gets generalized. Demodex dogs generally are not itchy.

If it is the other type of mite, those are treated differently, and they can even be contagious to people. Those ones I DO treat, even if it's a mild case. However, those dogs are usually very itchy.

But as RDM points out, we can't see the dog, so go with your vet's guidance.

The only time demodex is a bad situation is if it is the generalised form. This is uncommon. Most dogs never go there. I guess I can't say for certain that 100% of dogs have demodex (since you'd have to skin scrape 100% of dogs to prove this, and unless there's a prblem you don't do the scrape), but it is essentially universal (or at least that's what they teach you in shcool). Evidently people essentially all have their version of it, too, though since we're not all covered in hair it's maybe less noticeable - the place you'd get it in infancy would be face and hands (since it's acquired by nursing contact) - which in humans are generally not covered in hair, at least not in infancy.

There is nothing at Pestsmart that I'm aware of that would be an appropriate treatment for generalised demodex. In my experience, if it isn't generalised, it doesn't NEED treatment. We "treat" it with benign neglect, which means essentially ignore it (so long as it isn't getting worse) and let the pup get over it. In the non-generalised cases, it is usually sometihng that is outgrown by the age of two. It may flare up here and there during stressful situations - post-surgically, for example - but most dogs learn to live with it peacefully by adulthood and it rarely if ever becomes an issue for them.

You know what generalised demodex looks like, since your vet showed you pictures. If you see areas where the skin is starting to look like that but on a smaller scale, or if the little bald spots are becoming very numerous or increasing significantly in size, I'd consider treating. If not, I'd maybe think about holding off a bit. That's just my opinion, though, so do what you feel is best in your case.