BC Boards

Border collie

Hi I lost my border collie last year he had been suffering from seizures but he ended having clusters they felt he could of had a mass on his brain as the seizures became more forceful and affected his ability to walk or stand. So he was put to sleep he was 14. I am thinking of having another one in our family but the question I want to ask is do all border collies suffer seizures. I no his sister hasn’t had any but I’m afraid to go there again after what he went through. I have had 2 bus in the past they didnt. So I just want to no if it is the case they do many thanks Tracy

Sorry to hear you lost your boy this way. Epilepsy is horrific. The disease is throughout the breed, You can stack your deck only so much by going to a reputable breeder but even then it's not a guarantee. Do your research and ask lots of questions.  Check the pedigree both vertically and horizontally and ask as many/much as you can. Good luck in your search and I hope you find just what you are looking for!

Thank you for the advice it is an awful thing to witness and the stress it caused  on my family and my dog . I will do a lot of research before making any decisions .if I can’t get the answers I need I may have to have a change of heart even though I love them so much I lost my other to cancer as well she was only 11. I was lucky just to have them extra few years  with him at 14 We were heart broken twice so I’m not sure what to do now just trying to get advice but many thanks for replying!

What a horrible thing to experience. I have had 5 male border collies both rescues and from reputable breeders and luckily have never experienced epilepsy. As an agility competitor I have lots of friends with them and only 1 has had experience with it. The issue is out there but there are far more healthy border collies than ones with the disease.

Thank you for responding it was an awful experience to see I never had it with my border collies in the past apart from one I lost bout 3 yrs ago which was my boys mate that was bad enough and then to lose my other 3 yrs later was a terrible shock . It’s good news to hear that not all have it he was the first I new about but the vet said he could of had a tumour on his brain which caused the seizures but unfortunately we will never no. But because we love these dogs it’s hard to have any other so hopefully fingers crossed we will some time in the year  .