BC Boards

clipping collies

Our rough-coated 6 year old BC is quite susceptible to hot weather, collapsing after only a dozen ball throws and slow on the woods runs. We are thinking of clipping her coat to relieve heat stress. Have any of you done so to your BC? How short did you clip? What size blade did you use? Thank you!

It's best not to do more than trim the coat of a BC from everything I've heard. The coat may not ever grow back the same. There are other reasons too. Others can elaborate better than me.

It's not normal for a healthy dog to do what you described. I would visit the vet first before I visit the groomer.

The groomer groomed the top of her tail just a little so the hair doesnt hang on her rump. She had a lot of tail hair at the top that got covered in poo cause it was so thick and long.

IM000635.jpg

IM000636.jpg

IM000637.jpg

And the front shot.. her ear hair is trimmed too. They were matted with knots and mud. :rolleyes:

IM000639.jpg

Her chest hair is sort of grown wierd because her collar was embedded in her neck when the shelter got her. :mad: So, she wasnt clipped there, thats just the hair growing back squirrely lol. :D

I second Miztiki's suggestion to rule out medical issues, unless your dog is just unfit.

A dog's coat insulates against both cold AND warm weather. It is best not to shave the dog/clip the body hair short, although I've heard that clipping the belly hair can help keep them cooler.

If medical and fitness reasons can both be ruled out, maybe you could just get a plastic wading pool for him to cool off in after exercise. Most dogs love 'em, and if he's fit and healthy, he's probably panting to cool himself more than from exhaustion. He doesn't tire out like this in cool weather?

I third the suggestion to rule out health issues.

Is weight a factor? (A million apologies if it isn't. Just that there are tons :D of chunky border collies out there.)

I'd never shave a dog, but a trim shouldn't hurt---though it might not help the dog cool down much.

My lone rough-coat, Grayling, runs around like crazy in the SoCal summer heat, and just hops in the water trough (at the farm) or the wading pool (here at home) when she needs a cool-down. Heat exhaustion is always a reason to be vigilant in our summer weather---particularly with keen dogs that won't head for shade/water unless ordered---but even in our heat, a fit, healthy six year old border collie shouldn't be ready to collapse after a dozen ball tosses. Ready for a cool soak, sure :cool:

True Confessions: I hate, hate, hate rough coats. Not rough-coated dogs, mind you, and rough coats on other people's dogs are just peachy. But on my dogs...? Hate 'em.

Slick coated working border collies have been my favorites since before I got my first sheepdog (who was a slick coat, of course). A slick coat sheds everything, cleans fast and dries faster. A slick coat always looks sharp :cool: But a rough coat---yikes :D A rough coat picks up every burr and foxtail for miles around, collects enough water/dirt/mud to set off alarms at FEMA, takes forever to dry... I could go on :rolleyes:

How I wound up with a rough coated border collie: My aberrant Grayling and her slick coated littermate Twig are younger sisters to Albion Urdank's Corey, a dog I've loved from the first moment I saw her work. They were the only pups I've ever bought sight unseen. Corey is a tri slick coat, and so is Twig, but Grayling, bless her heart, looks like she got lost on the way to Westminster. (See what happens when you breed to a working standard? And I wouldn't have it any other way :D )

So Gray makes a few trips to the groomer each winter to get rid of the horrid foot mops, etc. I take her sister Twig along for reference, and ask the groomer to make 'em look alike. And every summer Gray's coat grows long again, and she goes back to looking like a Barbie. (I keep her leg/foot mops trimmed all year.)

Take my rough coat... please :D (Just kidding---I love Gray tons. But that coat...!)

I too think that a vet before a groomer.

Also, the more clipping you do - the faster the hair will grow back!

I don't shave my dogs (well, the shih-tzu is shaved because I don't want to brush that much) but when Dazzle DOES get hot - I don't work her physically (outside) and if I do, she gets a nice rub-down with a wet towel. Usually if it is too hot I do more mental stuff and keep her in the air conditioning.

i also think you should go to the vet before the groomer.

We used to get my last dog shaved in the summer. her coat grew fast and in the summer when its hot and such she over-heated alot, mind you she never fainted but was more comfortable with the shorter coat. we usually got it shaved at the start of june and then it would have grown back to its usual fluffy self in late july. We did have a little coat for her in the summer just incase it did rain or whatever.

Here is her with her fluffy coat.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/pinks...pets/tanya2.jpg

Here is her without it lol.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/pinks...pets/tanya6.jpg