BC Boards

Teeth Self-Cleaning Products

Looking for input as to what you give your dogs to keep their teeth clean.  Parker is a gnaw-er and a chewer and so his stay perfect.  Piper not so much and hers are getting worse.  Who brushes?  And if so, what do you use.  Who gives bones?  And if so, what kind?  Has anyone used Greenies or similar products and do they work?  Did a search, but not really finding the above things I am asking. 

What I use, and it's very effective, is Oratene gel. If an animal (or person) has plaque built up, this stuff will soften it to the point that you can chip it off with a fingernail. If there's no plaque it will prevent the buildup of any on the teeth.

I put a little on a thin washcloth and rub it onto the teeth with my finger in the washcloth. My vet recommended this because the nubby surface of the cloth will help to rub the gel onto the teeth. This seems to work a lot better than a toothbrush because I can really feel where I am on the teeth through the cloth.

Oratene is available online. Kind of expensive but really not because a little goes a long way and a lot cheaper than the veterinary dentist. I swear by it.

Thank you, D'Elle!  Many many years ago I used to scale my GSDs' teeth.  There was a liquid I would put on them that would allow me to chip the plaque off.  I will look this up.  I don't know if mine will sit still long enough for me to chip it -- I am wondering if I apply it, will a toothbrush knock the plaque off?

Once their teeth are clean, how often do you use it?

ALSO - the box says it is for dogs with dry mouth???  Just questioning if I am looking at the right thing.  thanks.

I suppose it would be good for dry mouth but of course that is not the only application for it. It is great for any dog's teeth.

I use it several days a week on my dogs' teeth. I aim for daily, but don't always manage it.

I use it daily on my own teeth. A toothbrush is not going to work to take off softened plaque because it only brushes against it; fingernail or a dental tool can get under one edge of the plaque piece and flick it off, which is what you need to do.   Sometimes, the plaque will come off a little bit with the use of a washcloth rubbed firmly on the teeth after using the Oratene for a while.  But if it doesn't, and depending on how bad it is, and you don't want to chip it off yourself you may need to have a dental cleaning done on your dog's teeth and then maintain the clean teeth with regular application of the Oratene. It will work much better if rubbed into the teeth with a washcloth on your finger than if you use a toothbrush. It isn't designed to be used with a toothbrush. And make sure the dog doesn't have any water immediately afterwards, because it is supposed to remain on the teeth. If you brush your own teeth with it, don't rinse afterward.

You can train your dog to sit still long enough to clean their teeth.