BC Boards

Sheepdg Whistles

I love that.

Years ago I got a sheepdog whistle. I didn't need one, as I never had sheep, but I had border collies and I thought I should try training them to the whistle. No matter what I did, though, I couldn't ever get the whistle to whistle. It's not as easy to use as it looks! I finally did train my dogs to do things to whistle signals, but of course nothing nearly as complicated and amazing as what a well trained sheepdog will do, and I use just an ordinary whistle. Whistle training a recall has come in very handy for me, though. On a hiking trail if my dog(s) were out of sight range, and we were in mountains where my voice might not carry, the whistle was always heard and my dogs would come back to me right away. The dogs I have now will do the same, although one is elderly enough to be kept on leash these days, as he is hard of hearing  and  the whistle confuses him as he is never sure the direction it is coming from.

5 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Years ago I got a sheepdog whistle....No matter what I did, though, I couldn't ever get the whistle to whistle. It's not as easy to use as it looks!

Same here, though I had working sheepdogs at the time and it would have been hugely helpful. Try as I might I just couldn't get anywhere with the whistle. Of course, I can't whistle at all and I always wondered if that might have something to do with it. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had mine 4 months. I keep it in the car dangling from my mirror to remind me to practice when alone in car. Its really really hard. Most get cheap ones, plastic, these are actually the hardest of all to work. I got bought a brass one, and first go, could get a stop and recall sound, i was so chuffed with meself lol still a long way to go though before i take it into a paddock. As still i blow and nothing comes out sometimes lol