BC Boards

Lyme disease vaccine

Steve,

My dog gets a Lyme vaccine as apart of her over all vaccinations. She was given Lyme vaccine, rabies shot, Bordetella and DA2LPP all on the same visit to the vets.

Besides being a bit moody from being poked by so many needles.

Steve,

Although my own dog didn't have any reactions to multiple vaccines/shots at the same time, I remember a disclaimer of sorts that said that the vet isn't liable for any adverse affects. In other words each dog may react differently.

Its one of those things you have to bite the bullet on and gamble with( anesthesia, a gamble too) unfortunately the only way to know if they will have a reaction is by doing it. 

We have been giving our dogs an Osp Lyme vaccine for at least 10 years with no adverse reactions; we’ve had between 7 and 9 dogs during that timeframe.

Most vaccines have an antigen (protein) and adjuvant (chemical to stimulate a stronger immune response to the antigen).  Is it better for a dog to get one dose of adjuvant with many antigens or multiple doses of adjuvant with one antigen each time?  I’ve not seen studies to evaluate this (doesn’t mean there aren’t studies; I’ve just not seen them).