BC Boards

What is your Border Collie registered in?

Hello, 

This question is more out of curiosity to help me decide on what I should do :). I am wondering if I should register my Border Collie (he is a little over a year now) in ABCA (parents were both ABCA registered) and/or USBCHA. For some background, I started herding lessons and plan to continue them. I am unsure yet if I will try to compete. I personally just enjoy it. Is there a benefit or preference for registration in these organizations? I have read up on them, but the information seems to be a bit disoriented. Also, are there any other organizations I should consider? Thanks for any input, opinions, advice, etc.!

Since both parents were ABCA registered, your pup can be registered with ABCA. Contact the breeder to get the pedigree papers required. They may also need to sign a form, but since I have never registered a pup, I can not comment on the specifics of the process.

The USBCHA is only a sanctioning body for trials. Dogs are not 'registered' with the USBCHA. From the USBCHA website: "The United States Border Collie Handler’s Association, Inc. (USBCHA) is the sanctioning body for sheep and cattledog trials trials throughout the United States and Canada. It was founded in 1979 and has grown into an organization of more than 800 members. Members who qualify at sanctioned Open trials during the year are eligible to compete in the USBCHA National Sheepdog and Cattledog Finals to determine the champion Open dog and handler for that year."

It is my understanding that a dog does NOT have to be registered with the ABCA (or CBCA or ISBC) to compete in USBCHA trials. It only matters if you start winning trials and want to receive $$ payouts. You may also have to have a registered dog to be able to qualify for the Finals (but not sure on that one since I will never have to worry about that. <grim>)

Dogs don't have to be registered to compete in USBCHA trials or the Finals  - they just have to qualify for the Finals by placing in the top 20% of sanctioned trials several times.  HANDLERS must be a member of the ABCA to run dogs in the Finals, but not in other sanctioned trials.

Hope this helps,

Amy