BC Boards

Heartguard heart worm prevention for my 8 week old BC male

petey

I just got a new BC male pup who is 9 weeks old and I took him to the this week. My vet gave me Heartguard heart worm prevention. When I came home I checked my paper from the breeder and she said she does not recommend heartguard or ivermectin for BC's. She gave no explantion. I called my vet and he said it is safe. I trust my vet but I am still concerned. I have not given him the heartguard yet. Any advice?

Ivermectin has been known to cause adverse effects in some Collies. It's my understanding that it's pretty rare however, given that there are alternatives on the market, perhaps you could ask your vet about another product. I use Sentinel.

Maria

Guest totallyterry2003

I would go with what your vet says.

The breeder did not give an explanation or what type of heart worm preventative to then use. You could always call the breeder and ask for the reason that she doesn't recommend heartguard.

Personally, I prefer intercepter.

Although I assume that the mother's antibodies would prevent a young pup from getting heartworm, I would not wait 6 months unless those 6 months were in the frozen winter.