BC Boards

Keeping him calm after neuter

Hi

Mine were both neutered at the same time (male and female) and mine were crated when they couldn't be watched and overnight.  No stairs (we slept downstairs for that period of time).  When we were together (like watching tv), if they got revved up, we leashed them. They also were leashed to go out to the bathroom.  Males usually heal much quicker than females unless the vet has to go in to search for a testicle (which unfortunately was our case) and so recuperation for him was equal to hers.  By the way, this was the first time I ever used "onesies" on them instead of a cone or a doughnut -- and I loved them!  They worked just great for my two.  I bought 4 and rotated them so they had clean ones all the time.  Everyone came through it unscathed and back to normal in 2 weeks. 

BTW, Cooper is a cutie and he looks like he's saying, "WHAT??????"

Thank you! Yes. We have him crated for his bedtime as well. This morning when i got him out though he ran out like gangbusters. Jumping around like he didnt just have his testicles removed! Crazy pup. The onsies are a godsend, i got those as well because i knew the cone would be a nightmare. Hopefully i can keep him as calm as possible. Mornings are always the toughest. 

You'll need to snap that leash on him immediately while he's in the crate/at the door, so that he is leashed as he comes out of it.  Sit and heel/walk commands - this is when obedience training pays off.  Lots of kong/chew bones to keep him occupied.  Mine had surgery, and he still acted like nothing happened to him.  They recuperate much faster when it's a normal neuter - so you'll not have as long to keep him quiet.

15 hours ago, beachdogz said:

You'll need to snap that leash on him immediately while he's in the crate/at the door, so that he is leashed as he comes out of it.  Sit and heel/walk commands - this is when obedience training pays off.  Lots of kong/chew bones to keep him occupied.  Mine had surgery, and he still acted like nothing happened to him.  They recuperate much faster when it's a normal neuter - so you'll not have as long to keep him quiet.

Thanks for the advice! Filling up some of his kongs now with yummy treats. It was a normal neuter so im hoping he'll be good soon. I keep checking his surgical site just to make sure everything looks good. So far no issues.

Just in general, if he cannot exercise his body, it is time to exercise his brain.  Doing things like nosework, which are low movement but high on brain work, or teaching him new low movement tricks that require him to engage his brain are ways to use up some energy.

I have also found that taking my dogs for a drive, where they cannot move around but can sniff out a window also does something similar.

Good luck!