BC Boards

I would like to know if my dog is border collie

Kiko

• 3 weeks later...

@Kiko, welcome to the Boards.

First of all, this group doesn't have anything to do with Whatsapp so I don't think anyone can add you, and AFAIK it wouldn't connect you to the Boards anyway.

Secondly, when I click on your link I get a "Sorry, this page isn't available" message. So no pic to be seen.

Finally, it's very hard to tell by a photo alone if a dog is or isn't a border collie. For one thing, working border collies have no breed standard that applies to their appearance or even size. I've seen some purebred border collies I would never have guessed were anything other than Heinz 57 type mixes until I saw them working, at which point there was no mistaking what they were. 

Because of this singular disregard for what working border collies look like as opposed to what they do, there's more variety among border collies than probably any other breed of dog.  We might be able to tell you that the dog looks like it "could" be a border collie, but few here would offer any further assurances. And we'd be likely to say that an ID would depend just as much as how the dog acts as how it looks. To muddy the waters even further, many mixed breeds end up looking a lot like border collies. This is one of the reasons behavior is as important an identifier as appearance.

Sorry not to be more helpful. But if you'd like to post a picture directly to the post (or at least provide a working link) and tell us why you think your dog might be a border collie I'm sure you'll find some people willing to offer some opinions. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 10:18 AM, GentleLake said:

@Kiko, welcome to the Boards.

First of all, this group doesn't have anything to do with Whatsapp so I don't think anyone can add you, and AFAIK it wouldn't connect you to the Boards anyway.

Secondly, when I click on your link I get a "Sorry, this page isn't available" message. So no pic to be seen.

Finally, it's very hard to tell by a photo alone if a dog is or isn't a border collie. For one thing, working border collies have no breed standard that applies to their appearance or even size. I've seen some purebred border collies I would never have guessed were anything other than Heinz 57 type mixes until I saw them working, at which point there was no mistaking what they were. 

Because of this singular disregard for what working border collies look like as opposed to what they do, there's more variety among border collies than probably any other breed of dog.  We might be able to tell you that the dog looks like it "could" be a border collie, but few here would offer any further assurances. And we'd be likely to say that an ID would depend just as much as how the dog acts as how it looks. To muddy the waters even further, many mixed breeds end up looking a lot like border collies. This is one of the reasons behavior is as important an identifier as appearance.

Sorry not to be more helpful. But if you'd like to post a picture directly to the post (or at least provide a working link) and tell us why you think your dog might be a border collie I'm sure you'll find some people willing to offer some opinions. ;)