BC Boards

Learned Something New about Puppy Paw Pads!

Well I'm always learning new things but this is something I've never heard of before. Rylie for the past few weeks has from time to time had a limp on his right front leg. It would come and go within hours or days and had me stumped. As I would watch him I just couldn't understand why one hour he'd limp and the next would be fine and running around like normal. It was never a bad limp, just enough to make me wonder if he really was limping. THEN I noticed a slight limp on his left leg! Well I knew he wasn't faking it so this got me really wondering what the heck. I was waiting and watching to see how or if it would worsen and if so would take him to the vet. Again fine one day, slight limp the next, slight limp on the other leg the next day???

Yesterday I took him for a walk around the block and before we got home he was limping pretty badly, but again as soon as playing in the yard seemed fine again. So I began to think it was a problem in his foot/feet.

So after puzzling over this, started doing some google searches and realized that pink puppy pads changing black can be painful. I knew their noses and toes could and would change color but didn't really realize the pads did too and had never noticed it in the 5 other puppies we've had and had never heard it mentioned anywhere. It also mentioned that it tended to happen around 6 months of age. Well Rylie is 6 months tomorrow! Well sure enough, Rylie has the marbling on his feet. I had examined his feet at first wondering if he had a cut or something but didn't really notice or think about the black patches. He has no raw places and didn't seem to mind me handling them any more than his usual "leave my feet alone, you're not clipping my nails" behavior.

Anyway, I'm sure some of you with much more experience with puppies have seen this, what are your thoughts?  I will keep him off rough surfaces like the road, but I"m also wondering if some boots will help or will boots just prevent his pads from toughening as they should? 

Are you sure it's not panosteitis, some other ortho issue or even Lyme? All can present with alternate limping.

If this were my pup I think I'd be going for a vet check to see if it's not something more serious than color changes on his paws, which BTW I've never heard to be associate with pain, though I don't claim to say it couldn't be a thing.

Thanks for your comments! I had thought about panosteitis but seems the symptoms for that are more severe. I know our boys (human) both had terrible growing pains and would wake in the night crying. I had never heard of the puppy paw issue either but the google search did mention on different sites that it could be painful. Most of the time I can barely tell he's limping if at all but there might be the slight head bob. The worst time was on the road the other day and our road has rough texture to it so that is when I really started thinking pad. We don't have ticks and he is on prevention plus our yard is treated so not sure how it could be Lyme. 

He's been fine today running around the yard showing no signs but the grass is slightly wet and there is a layer of damp leaves. He is also fine in the house. No limping inside even the day he was limping on the road. 

Well GentleLake, I was going to take Rylie to the vet but he is closed for Thanksgiving until Monday. I'll hooefully be able to get him in then. He still plays fine some and then will limp. The other night he snuggled and slept next to me on the couch for about an hour and then when taking him to his crate he limped fairly badly. When he had first settled on the couch earlier, he wasn't limping at all. So I want to find out what's going on! It's the fine for a while and then the limping that definitely says something is going on!

maeflower have you checked between his pads for burrs or foxtails? Don't know if you have them their, but we've sure got them where I live. They get up in between the pads and get wrapped up in the fur. Sometimes it doesn't bother my boy, sometimes 2 or 3 get together and he'll start to limp. It's the first thing I look for. you can use a little cornstarch on the 'hairball' around the burr and it makes removing the burr much easier.

Good luck!

Ruth & Gibbs

Urge to herd, we don't have foxtails and I have definitely examined his pads and between his toes. I have been reading a lot about Pano and I'm beginning to agree with GentleLake that it very well may be Pano. Regardless of what it is, I have no idea how I'll be able to keep him quiet and calm until it clears! I haven't let him do any running around today and right now he is bouncing off the walls! :wacko: We have done some training and puzzle treat dispensers and other calm activities but he really has a lot of energy!! I may need medication for me for the duration of this!! lol

Well just a short update after Monday's trip to the vet. It's not pano and his pads are fine. Monday and Tuesday he didn't limp at all and then today limping again. He has been on an anti-inflammatory 2 days now and goes Friday for xrays of all four legs to have a record and to see what's going on in front. I'll update again after the results Friday.

Yes Ruth he is going to check shoulders, elbows, knees, and hips, and also long bones to see how plates are closing if at all. I just hope he can find the issue since it's so on and off with the limping and not just the right although it seems mostly that one.

Well Rylie has had a huge number of x-rays showing shoulders, elbows, and hips from different views and angles. Everything looked great except for one very small dark place on his shoulder. His vet doesn't really think it's anything to worry about at this time and to wait and see how things go. If he continues to limp off and on (hasn't limped any this week) we can send the x-rays to a radiologist for further opinion and if things progressively get worse, can get an appointment with a surgeon in our area that specializes with shoulder surgeries and to get his opinion. Otherwise my vet thinks it may clear up on its own or we can take steps later if it doesn't. He recommended letting him be a puppy and not restrict his activities and see how things go.

He also pointed out that all his other bones and joints looked excellent at this time. So Rylie now has an abundance of "pictures", a new microchip, and tidy fancy nail trimmings, and his mom has emptied her Christmas budget for this year and several more to come!! Glad the Christmas shopping has already been done!! :rolleyes: