BC Boards

Grapes or raisins may be hazardous to your dogs health!!

Gary M

While waiting in the vet's office today, I was reading the March issue or Dog Fancy magazine and there was an article about grapes and raisins being potentially fatal to dogs. According to the article, they can cause complete kidney failure. In the article a woman's dog (BC/aussie) ate about a pound of raisins. When the dog started acting strange, she took it to her vet and in her case $6000 (yes, thousand) later and IV's transfusions, dialisys (sp?) the dog survived. Vets interviewed for the article had at times been less fortunate.

I talked to my vet about it and he had seen some info about this problem, but was going to try to get more.

Please talk to your vet and please be aware.

Gary

Not to poke fun but a pound of raisins would probably kill me too!

Is it the high sugar content that causes the trouble?

I gave a standard dachshund to my cousin and the dog got into the Christmas butter tarts. 20+ tarts later, the vet wasn't sure Cherry was going to make it. They said dogs don't tolerate sugar.

From what I read, they are still not sure what is in grapes/raisins that is the problem. And like other things toxic to dogs, its not all dogs and its not always quantity. I believe in one case mentioned it was less than a dozen grapes.

My problem is that I have a BC/Lab that will eat ANYTHING he gets his mouth on and I know he likes grapes because I have given them to him when I was eating them. I thought it was more "healthy" than the over processed chemical laden commercially available "treats". Shows what I know.

Grapes are pretty heavily pesticided. I wonder if anyone has ever investigated this possibility.

My Tyra LOVES grapes. I don't buy them often but I do give her some on occasion and she is still as sassy and alive as ever.

Jennifer