BC Boards

constipation

nancy

What can I give Fergie for constipation?

We had to board her for the space of about 8 meals. She ate Eucanuba instead of her usual Advantage, but the ingredient list was not that different - just some cornmeal that she otherwise does not get. However, Fergie hates to poop anywhere but in the woods. So a concrete floor that is part of her "house" is not where she is willing to go. They did walk her on their "nature trail" to get her to go, but not as often as we do.

Now, on her second day home, she is still straining to poop and getting maybe a small hard bit or two, then sort of a small squirt of liquid.

I have generic Metamucil, and I have heard of giving it to dogs. But how? Or is there something better to do before we give up and call the vet. I know what to do for people. Would prunes work?

Dunno about prunes - can't imagine dogs would like 'em much though! Try canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, with sugar and spices, just plain canned pumpkin) - it is moist, high in fiber, dogs tend to like it, and its not upsetting to most stomachs. Mix it about half and half with regular kibble. Hope it (or something else you try) works! Poor Fergie! Sounds like a lot of stress too. I'll bet "things" will work out soon, now that she's back home again.

diane

Thanks, I'll try the pumpkin. Although this dog might eat prunes. She eats banana (the skins, too, if we let her), all kinds of berries, apples, pears, grapes, watermellon, cantalop, mangoes, tomatoes, broccoli, radishes, pickles, peppers.... In fact, when our 1-year-old granddaughter was over and eating orange sections, Fergie at the chewed remains - but that may be because they had that Elena flavor.

Boarding may be some stress for Fergie because it sure isn't home, with her own chair, her people, and all her daily walks and runs. But she does love to go to her puppy camp. She pulls me down the walk to the door, jumps up and licks the staff (who encourage that, so it's not a Fergie problem), and trots off happily. Of course, she goes ballistic when we pick her up.