BC Boards

vestibular syndrome

swampthing

Hi, everyone. I've been reading the boards for some time now, but never felt like I had much to contribute. Unfortunately, now I have a question. On 3/6/03, my 13 year old BC had surgery for the removal of two growths, both benign, thank goodness. The surgery went well as did his recuperation. He is exceptionally healthy and vigorous for his age. On the evening of 3/12/03, he had sudden onset of what I thought might be geriatric vestibular syndrome. (I'd read about it in a magazine. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.) He had all the symptoms, stumbling gait, loss of balance and coordination, head tilt, rapid eye movement. His vet confirmed the diagnosis the next day. He also confirmed that dogs seem to recover on their own within one to three weeks. Right now his appetite is good, but he seems uncomfortable eating from a bowl, so I'm hand feeding him. He hasn't thrown up, which his vet seemed very pleased about. Bowel and bladder movements are perfectly normal. Mentally he's as sharp as ever. He responds to conversations and directions, even wanted to do his "chores" yesterday. (He's housebound, naturally.) Except for being perplexed about why he's running into things, and maybe a little depressed about the lack of physical activity, he's his normal adorable self. Do any of you have any experience with this condition? Is there anything I can do to hasten his recovery or make him feel better during it? I've had geriatric dogs before, but none have ever had this condition. Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your old boy. Afraid I don?t have any info to contribute - but it just occurred to me to wonder whether he would be able to eat from a bowl if it was raised up to a level so he doesn?t have to bend his head down. You can buy the raised bowls from pet stores, or you could probably set something up yourself.

Hope he?ll keep improving. Best wishes from Down Under.

I have an oldster with ataxia from a bout of ehrlichiosis years ago. He tips over when he tries to eat at floor level! I have a little rubbermaid stool that I put his dish on. Also, while the others get meaty bones for dinner, he gets ground chicken as tearing up bones seems to require a bit too much coordination. Maybe try soft food in addition to raising his bowl?

When Bubo was recovering, we took him on three times a day leash walks to get his neurological system reprogrammed. The more exercise he gets, the less he runs into stuff, stumbles over holes, falls over, etc. I don't think the brain damage improves, I think he compensates better when he's more active. Not sure whether that applies to your case, it's possible activity is contraindicated?

Bubo is about 12, we think, by the way.

Good luck!

I have friends who had a dog with Old dog's vestibular disease. I'm afraid I don't have the best news really. She suffered for a couple of years. She did eventually recouperate to the point where she could stand, but walking was always difficult for her and she sort of stood at a tilt from that point on. She also had bouts where it got worse again. She did puke, but they thought it was because she was "dizzy". They did put her food up for her. I think though that the WORST thing they did was stop exercising her. I would take her for short walks and she really seemed to enjoy them.

I really wish I had better news. I am SO SO sorry. I know what hell my friends went through and the symptoms are so scary to witness. Just try to make him as happy and as comfortable as possible.

This is just my thoughts never experiencing your problem but just using some common sense or ideas from my work--I work in a human trauma hospital and have seen brain injuries so bad come around like miracles by mental exercizing and stimulation.A prime example is a construction worker holding a hand held circular saw above his head to work and the blade came loose and went into his head.He lost 1/4 of his rain and was worthless for so long.Seven months later up on the rehab floor I saw him talking on the phone and I was like"what the hell?".The nurse said the rest of the brain relearned what the missing part knew.So maybe I'm reaching but mental stimulation/mental exercizes would seem to help in my thinking.Just a thought.

Sue Barta

Thanks for your suggestions and your good wishes. I do appreciate them. His food and water bowls have already been elevated. I don't think it's the height so much that bothers him as it is his head tilt. I've been giving him soft foods. Tonight he had boiled chicken and rice and some cooked veggies. A far cry from his usual dry kibble. :rolleyes: He was able to eat out of the bowl, which he couldn't do this morning. Exercise is okay. We've done short walks on a leash. I think I'm already seeing a little improvement. Either that or he is learning to compensate. He's a very no nonsense no frills dog. For some time now, since he became older, I've tried to get him to sleep on a cushy dogbed. He disdains the cushion and prefers his crate (no cushion allowed) or a spot under the kitchen table. He seems to be dealing with this condition in the same fashion. Thanks again, everyone.

A friend of mine adopted a collie (regular collie) who was diagnosed with idiopathic vestibular syndrome. The dog was already old & she thought she had had a stroke. In short, it's a recap of what is the the previous posts---her food & water had to be elevated, there is no cure, but they do tend to come out of it & sometimes relapse. It appears that once these symptoms show up, the dog is never quite the same, although they do OK when the symptoms subside.

Just the bit that I know about it, which might not be a helluva lot.

Vicki