BC Boards

How to end training sessions?

I'm never quite sure how to end things.

I'm talking about little training things we do ad hoc that only last for a few minutes. At the moment we're practicing transitioning between low energy and high energy stuff for example Go to place, a few tricks, some running around find or fetch types games and back to place to settle. This can all be done in five minutes or less and then I give the release command and say that we're all finished and try to go about my business, but our boy is desperately offering me behaviours to get my attention because he wants to carry on. He'll be throwing himself onto his place, bringing me the toys we play hide n' seek with, sitting next to me gazing into my eyes etc. If it's a day that I am at home then I might take a short break and then start again so we get several very short but intense training sessions so can't give him a Kong or chew every time. I love that he wants to work but how do I make it clear when we are working and when he needs to leave me alone for a bit. He doesn't live in a crate so putting him away isn't an option and I don't want to just leave him in his place waiting because eventually he'd have to get up for a drink/pee/find a chew.  

I always end a training session with something I can reward the dog for so that we end on a positive note. It doesn't sound like that's an issue for you though if he's happily wanting even more interaction. ;)

In a case like this I'd ignore the attention seeking behavior and use whatever you use to mark desired behavior the instant he takes a break with the attention seeking and then reward with a treat. Just like you would do with increasing duration with a stay -- or capturing the tiny second between barking when you're training for no-bark -- start out with the initial break and then gradually lengthen the time before the quiet behavior is marked, even if it's only one second at a time. If the initial mark & treat's followed by a return of attention seeking, then just ignore him again and mark again the instant he stops. He should figure out pretty quickly that he's being rewarded for stopping and that now it's quite behavior that's being rewarded.

Gotta love these pups that are so eager to train. :D

I always say "That's all!" or some other phrase to signal to the dog that the session is over, whether training or play. Then I say "let's go outside!" in an upbeat voice, and let the dog out to potty. Few minutes later, dog comes in and I settle down to what I am doing. If the dog insists on getting my attention I ignore. If the dog brings me a toy, I pick up all the toys and put them away. If the dog ups the ante and puts a paw on me or something of the kind, then I take the dog very gently by the collar and put him in another room and close the door. Five minutes later, let the dog out and go back to what I am doing. Dog repeats attention-seeking, I repeat the time-out. No punishment or correction about it, just calmly letting the dog know that if he settles down he gets to be with me and if he doesn't he has to be elsewhere. Be 100% consistent with it.  He just needs to understand that, while his behaviors are good he will only be rewarded for them when he is cued to do them and the rest of the time throwing behaviors at you won't get him what he wants.  A smart dog like yours will catch on very fast.