BC Boards

REALLY Bad Breath

workindogs

I have 4 dogs on the same premium kibble diet and only one of the dogs has HORRIBLE breath...you can smell him from several feet away. All the of dogs have healthy appetites, glossy coats, good vet checks and are very fit from working.

What should I be looking for?

Bad teeth?

Digestive problems?...this particular dog is prone to be gassy and occasionally has diarhea (usually when stressed...particularly when travelling). Mostly his stool is fine.

What gives?

Elizabeth

My first thought is that maybe this one particular dog is having problems processing this kibble. Bad teeth & gums is a contributing factor to bad breath. I would get this dog checked by a vet. Are the teeth & gums OK? See if there might be something going on internally that is causing him to be gassy. I would say that maybe a change of diet is in order for this dog, since you said this particular dog tends to be gassy anyway. To me, that indicates a digestion problem anyway, which another manifestion is rotten breath.

May I ask what you are currently feeding?

Vicki

I feed Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult. This dog has been eating this food for over a year. The ingredients are listed on the website:

http://www.naturalblend.com/adult.htm

His stool is generally fine but from time to time he will have a sudden bout of diarhea (usually associated with some stress...travel or working stock after a break). Compared to my other dogs he is prone to be gassy.

His teeth were pretty cruddy when I got him last January. They still have some tartar but are much cleaner now due to the bones I give him. His gums aren't inflamed. I can't find any particular problem in his mouth.

Elizabeth

[This message has been edited by workindogs (edited 09-27-2002).]

I've fed that particular food myself & I think it's OK. However, it just may not agree with this particular individual. If his teeth & gums were really bad when you got him (I'm not a vet, so I'm sort of thinking out loud), I know that infected gums can lead to other health problems & maybe he has residuals from that. Just for my own peace of mind, I would get him checked by a vet, maybe even getting a blood panel done. But I would definately change his food.

You might have to experiment with different kinds before you find the one that works the best for him.

(BTW, the raw diet I feed to 2 of my dogs, has been known to diminish this problem in breeds known for gassiness---boxers, American Bulldogs).

Vicki