BC Boards

Shoe hoarder

Over the last wee while I have noticed a funny behaviour with my Mac - probably once or twice a week I will come home from work and find he has taken a shoe off the back step and put it in his bed in his kennel. He never chews the shoes or damages them, it's like he just likes having something of mine or my partners with him! Am I reading too much into this/does anyone else's dog do this?! 

When Boo was still a young pup he would often go find a shoe and bring it into the living room and leave it in the middle of the room for me to see when I got back home again. I didn't know why,; he never chewed them. but I thought it was as if he were saying, "Hey, I could have chewed this, you know". :) But who knows why he did it.

My youngest likes to pick up a shoe and carry it off "to his lair" like it's a freshly caught rabbit he's really proud to have got himself.  Used to chew and eat everything when we first got him but that eased off and he now just likes to rob the odd shoe now and then or trot off with any scarves or hats lying around.  Think it's just a familiar smell and comfort really and because he just takes and puts it on his bed I don't mind.  When I'm on my way out and missing a shoe he's my first port of call.

"Oi.. you got my shoe young man?"

"Shoe?  No... never seen a shoe in my life what's a shoe?" :unsure:

Eldest dog was taught to find and bring things around the house when she was a pup though so if all else fails I'll send her looking for it and sure as - she'll grass him up and bring about 21 shoes, 43 balls and 2 or 3 bras belonging to my daughter he likes to nick and bury somewhere. 

We have two that when they were younger decided that every shoe in the house belonged in the living room.  They never chewed them, they just moved them to where they thought they should be.  I am finding that border collies make excellent personal organizers.  They make it easy to throw things out after they show you what needs to go.

Lucky has a shoe fetish.  He chewed/destroyed several of my slip on rubber garden shoes and one of my wooden clogs.  I saw something from a trainer that if your dog is doing a specific behavior that you don't like, that you train them and put it on cue so they only do it when you give them the cue.  So I trained Lucky to bring me my shoes when I come home.  He will do it - he's great at it.  But it also means that whenever anyone comes into the house - especially if we've been out and he's home alone, he goes into the hallway, gets a shoe from the shoe shelf and brings it to you wagging his tail and making his funny squeaky noise.  We say 'thank you" and he usually gives us the shoe.

It's the socks that he puts in his bed...

On 8/16/2018 at 3:33 AM, PeskyDogs said:

We have two that when they were younger decided that every shoe in the house belonged in the living room.  They never chewed them, they just moved them to where they thought they should be.  I am finding that border collies make excellent personal organizers.  They make it easy to throw things out after they show you what needs to go.

Haha this made me laugh out loud

I never had problems with shoe stealing with my dogs (huskies not BCs.. don’t have my bc pup yet!) but what they DID do is steal blankets! Yup! Would grab blankets in their mouths that were thrown over the couch or wherever and then drag them into their crate making some kind of massive blanket fort