BC Boards

Concerned About Age for Agility

I am concerned that I, not Turbo may be to old to compete in agility. I am almost 59, and watching the agility competitions, notice that most of the handlers are young, and have to move as fast or faster than the dogs. Turbo is only 8 months old, and already we have been doing the easy obstacles, like low jumps and the tunnel, the dog walk (low), and the weave poles, and Turbo is already going faster than I can keep up with him. I can't imagine how I'll keep up once he is a year older, and really gets into it. Should we maybe start concentrating on something like flyball or frisby? I want Turbo to be active in something, and I don't want to be the one that is the anchor. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dennis

No worries!!

If you think you won't be able to keep up, work on distance work. I knew a disabled handler that could more or less just be in the middle of the ring and direct her dog around the course.

I have actually noticed the opposite - many of the handlers here are much older than you, and they still get out there and have a great time!

Distance and independence is the key if you can't keep up with your dog. Many people (with border collies :D ) can't keep up. You should be fine. :D Keep with it!

BTW, careful with weave poles (unless you are still doing wide open channels), dogs have to really twist their spines to weave. :rolleyes:

No worries! You fall pretty much in with the majority of competitors out there age wise. I know a older woman I guess she is in her late 60's early 70's, she suffers from Parkinsons and runs a bc amazingly well. We all stopt to watch Eunice compete, in fact

No worries! You fall pretty much in with the majority of competitors out there age wise. I know a older woman I guess she is in her late 60's early 70's, she suffers from Parkinsons and runs a bc amazingly well. We all stopt to watch Eunice compete, in fact she is soon starting another dog as her current dog is retiring. She works from extreme distance due to her physical limitations but does quite well. We all love her!

My fomer trainers husband use to run bc's and he used a cane to walk. I have seen others using motorized wheelchairs too. My suggestion is to just be aware of your limitations and train for them. Dont let it deter you from competing

I sit with a lady at trials who is 62. She runs a fast little Australian terrier and they do distance stuff so she doesn't have to worry about her knees and trying to run on uneven footing. They do fine.

I'm 27 and run an amazingly fast border collie. I don't have a prayer of keeping up. I taught him how to turn into me, away from me, come in closer or get out farther, go on over the next thing you are looking at, etc. He is so fast that when it all works he is unstoppable but when it falls apart for us we don't just knock one bar or go off course once...we tear the course apart!! :rolleyes:

Good luck and remember to have fun, that's the most important part!!!!

Olivia

You'll be fine. My agility club has about 15 or so people competing and I'd say 3 or 4 of us are under 40, 3 or 4 are 40-50 and the rest are 50+. Like everyone mentioned, distance work is key. Also teaching the dog a left and a right would be very helpful.

It's great exercise for everyone but especially for older people and your dog will love the mental/physical aspect of it. You may never go to nationals but not many of us do. That shouldn't stop you from having fun and bonding with your pet.

Thank You all for the confidence booster. Turbo and I will continue with agility training. In a couple of months we will start with the harder obsticles like the teeter totter and higher dog walk. He does the weave poles set at about 30", just to prevent twisting to much, and we still try to do that slowly. Our trainer did stress waiting till Turbo was 10 months old before we moved to a higher level. He's been ready to tackle that stuff since he was 4 months old, and can't understand why we don't do those things. He watches the older dogs doing the whole course, and is always eager to show them how good he is, and then I don't let him. :D

I was beginning to question my stamina at keeping up with him. Hopefully, now I can now learn some of the things mentioned, to make it easier on me. :D Do they have a catagory for senior handlers ? :rolleyes:

Yep - another vote here for the senior handlers! I've just turned 62, and am handling my very fast and demanding little girl. I do have a T shirt which says "Dog needs younger handler!", which I'm sure she thinks - and I've just bought another one which says "Yes, I know that was my fault!". But we have a blast - and in spite of me, we've got to compete in Masters Jumping and Excellent Agility (ANKC is the only game in town on this island.)

Distance work is the key - and working within whatever limitations you have - accepting that you perhaps won't be using as many front crosses as other people - so get your pup used to you doing rear crosses.

I find a major problem I have now at the higher levels is remembering the course, and what my plan was - especially if things come a little unglued. If I once lose confidence and hesitate, Kirra is likely to take an off course obstacle (that's a DQ in our game) - so I need to do lots of work on analysing courses and planning strategies for sequences.

I figure it's got to be really good for staving off Alzheimers - and certainly a heck of a lot more fun than doing crosswords!

Usher & I will start soon with agility and he is my service dog. I have dystonia, simalar to parkinsons. I have done agility before with another BC. The main thing is training and getting a head start on your dog. You can be several steps ahead of your dog and if s/he is properly trained you don't have to do much running. BTW, Turbo is a great name.