BC Boards

training line

Hi, Andy. Are you talking about a long lead?

If so, this is what I use for Eluane ever since she was a puppy (12 weeks old) because at my apartment complex there is a huge long terrace with high walls where I play fetch the frisbee. Because I'm a klutz I accidentally throw it over the retaining wall a lot, and to protect her from the street below while she ran to fetch it (even at 12 weeks she would race too far ahead for me to hold her in check) I used the long lead.

However, a word of caution!! You must wear some sort of protective gloves or the long lead will really give a very, very bad rope burn if you're not fast enough at stepping on that lead before you grab the handle! Just copy and past the link below into your address bar.

http://www.petexpertise.com/item--Light-We...ight_leash.html

You can get long lines just about anywhere.

they have some at petsmart and the like - but they are all really fat, kinda short, and have HUGE buckles (for a puppy it is very heavy).

I just got mine from my training center. a very long, cotton, thin line are the ones I like. of course you can get the thick ones too...

this is like the one I have (only mine is much thinner):

748-2.jpg

If you want something lighter and puppy sized you could always make your own with nylon cord,a small swivel snap, a bowline knot and a lighter to prevent end fraying. It's actually how I get my pups used to a leash and do some distance work ...the stuff is light enough that sometimes they forget they're 'attached' to me .

Originally posted by bc4pack:

If you want something lighter and puppy sized you could always make your own with nylon cord,a small swivel snap, a bowline knot and a lighter to prevent end fraying. It's actually how I get my pups used to a leash and do some distance work ...the stuff is light enough that sometimes they forget they're 'attached' to me .

This is what I did and I would recommend it for a puppy. You should be able to get swivel clips and any thickness of line or rope at your local hardware store.

Another clue about thin rope - I've tied a bunch of knots along its length, so I can step on it at anytime the pup isn't paying attention. He stops, but he doesn't know why! If he doesn't come to me when I call, I can then just "walk up" the line, with my hands held out to the sides with yummy treats (yeah, we look pretty funny if he continues moving, and I'm walking a bit like a drunken sailor....). He doesn't get it that I am the cause of his immobility - just that I'm coming to him with food, and soon he is mine, all mine!

Love it!

diane