BC Boards

A few questions about agility

The dogs can learn the basics of the equipment fairly easily, but there is so much more to agility, especially for the human part of the team! A big part of that is learning how to teach your dog exactly what you want.
Oh yes - that is so true! I find that I need other knowledgeable people to be watching me and my pretty fast little girl, to see how I handle sequences, and then make suggestions as to how I could handle better, and then help me to do it. I'm lucky now in that I'm part of a small group of friends who can all help each other - one friend has equipment set up at her house - that's in addition to going to classes at my local community dog club. It's certainly been helpful to have that support - although I can still make costly mistakes on course in trials.

Oh I absolutely agree with you Deanna! Hubby was remarking when we were doing the lessons with Zeeke that it felt like it was all about teaching him (the handler) - not the dog. The trainer just laughed and agreed. My only worry is if we can afford to keep going to classes continually for two dogs! O.O