BC Boards

A few questions about agility

Today the whole family had our first experience with agility - me and hubby with Zoe and Zeeke. Zeeke took to it like a fish to water, like I KNEW he would. Hubby kept telling me, "I don't think he's going to do well, his attention span is so short" and "He's really not going to like that teeter totter thing." Well we did some introductions to things, like a tippy board and a very very low teeter totter; a low tire jump; and a tunnel that initially was scrunched very short.

Zeeke did them ALL, did them well, and then looked at us as if to say, "THAT was easy, what now??" In fact, when I was trying to get Zoe to come up to the tippy board Zeeke kept jumping on it and then looking at me expectantly for the treat. (This is the same tippy board that hubby said, "Oh he'll hate that, he hates things moving on him..." Ha. Hahaha.)

The tunnel? Started small. The furthest we got with Zoe was that she came near it, and finally stuck her head in it. She refused to touch it, period. But still, that's good progress for her. Zeeke ran though it. They lengthened it a bit. He ran through it. They lengthened it again. They put a small bend in it. They put a bigger bend in it. Zeeke LOVED it. I think he likes tunnels. :rolleyes:

Plus, we found an agility instructor that runs classes less than half an hour from our house. Yay! So hubby and I are probably both going to sign up with both dogs. I personally thing Zoe gets a boost from having Zeeke there, and she learns from watching him.

Anyhow, to my questions - hubby was wondering where to go after one class or two classes? Zeeke LOVED it and of course I want him to continue, but... it's a lot of money for 6 weeks of lessons. Like hubby said, "Then what?" Do we continue paying for lessons? I know we could buy our own equipment, but that's expensive too. Competitions? Practices? What do people do with their dogs after learning the basics?

Wow, Natalie, I am so glad to hear Zeeke aced his first agility experince! You see, high energy, stubborn and distructive boys are not so bad :rolleyes: Gives me hope for Ouzo!

Zoe is going to look up to her big brother and will want to show him she can do it, too. You're right, by herself, she might not do so good, but with such a role model, in no time she'll go through that scarry tunnel

Natalie, sounds like Zeeke is a natural! I bet Zoe catches on with some lessons, too.

From my personal experience: I started out taking agility class with Lilly for fun. It is very addictive, and I'm still taking classes two years later! We go to trials, but only on a limited basis, since we're still having some issues. But, even if we stopped competing, we both enjoy it too much to stop attending classes. (Luckily, I train for free now, but it wasn't always that way)

As for where you'll go after one or two sessions, that's up to you. Honestly, after one or two sessions, you'll just barely know "the basics". There's a lot more involved, if you want to trial, at least, than the dog learning how to do the obstacles. That's the easy part!

If you want to go just for fun and learn the basics, then sure, you could build your own equipment (much, much cheaper than buying), and play at home. Or continue to take classes as you can afford them. My advice would be to just go for it, and once you've been through some classes, you can decide from there.

You know, Paula, I was thinking about that.... making our own equipment. I can be crafty if I want to be. :rolleyes:

I need to figure out ways to motivate my hubby to keep practicing and going to classes - although seeing Zeeke do so well today was a big booster for him (he was really not interested in agility before this, but he was SO proud of his boy!). Sadly, we are very lazy humans. Zeeke is not a lazy dog. (Except for right now. He has been sleeping ever since we got home - we went to Dog Dayz with the Border Collie Rescue, it was a blast!!)

Money's the big concern with lessons. We're still saving to afford a fence for these two - and as usual as soon as we have some savings some appliance or piece of the truck breaks. :mad: This responsible adult thing can really suck. The only good part is that I am making some money now, which I can definitely put towards lessons for these two.

It figures, you know... I wanted my dog to do agility, have all along. And of course hubby's dog is the natural.

Yeah, that figures, huh?!

I hear ya about money...if it's not one thing, it's another. I meant to say earlier, that you can find lots of plans on the internet for making your own equipment. Jumps are easy, you just need some pvc. Tunnels, you'd have to buy, but keep an eye out on ebay for a good deal. Me and my DH actually made a teeter! I'm pretty darn proud of that, considering we're not handy at all.

Anyway, have fun with it, whatever you do.

Natalie, do you have any clubs anywhere near you? 43eww56rt - my dear old cat (17) just typed that - I thought it was too cute to take out! :rolleyes: Anyway, if there is a decent sort of club near you, that could be a cheaper option. In my experience, it's much better to be working with at least a couple other knowledgeable people - saves you making unnecessary mistakes and having to retrain later.

Trust me, agility will stop you from being lazy humans :D , and you and the dogs will have a blast, even if you're just playing.

There is a club around here, but unfortunately the training facility is a good drive away. When we only have one vehicle between the two of us and hubby works full time, that's a big issue.

I forget her name right now... she wrote it down and I have it in my pouch from last night. I'll go find it later.

Just a thought - even if hubby loses motivation to take Zeeke to classes, you can definitely keep going with Zeeke yourself - I remember you saying that you don't have a real solid working relationship w/ him and agility classes would be a great way to build one.

I just worry that that would take my attention off of Zoe... both of them at once is quite a handful. :/ But yes... I will be training him. I really think he could do competition agility if we wanted to... and I highly doubt hubby will be interested in that.

Lunar,

If you are looking for a training facility in your area try this website: www.cleanrun.com look under Agility Schools and Training centers. It will be able to help you find a trainer in your area. I dont remember how old Zeke and Zoe are but before you start actual agility training you might want to do a basic obedience class and then move on to agility. You will need the following basic skills a good recall, wait, down and sit. Depending on the age of your pups you might want to enroll in puppy kindergarten for agility, sometimes called pre-novice. A good class will offer no more than 6 -8 students per instructor. There are all kinds of things you can do with a very young dog before even enrolling in class, several which you have mentioned. The tipppy board, a touch command, ladder work to teach a dog to be aware of all 4 feet and where they are. NO jumping until they are at least 9mos old and then only at 4 - 8 inches off the ground. I would ask any prospective trainer if you can observe a class or two before you decide to enroll. Looking at where you are located, you are in a great area for agility. Perhaps one of the best (in my opinion) live in the New England area - Julie Daniels in NH for instance. In Mass there is a club called ACE agility it is a very nice club in Feeding Hills, and AARF in Carlisle, Erin Schaffer an excellent handler is teaching in the Foxboro area. Agility is a very addictive sport, my whole family participates with 3 dogs activly competing dogs range in age from 5 -13 and handlers from 11 - to I'd rather not say LOL. Ive been doing it for over 10 yrs and dont plan on stopping anytime soon. Good Luck with Zeke and have fun

I agree with Pat , I have been in agility for afew years and must say that NE has many good clubs and trainers.

Pat mentions ACE they are a very active club and Ray wheeler is very good . Ace has a 1 day USDAA trial this coming Sunday 8/27 for starter dogs only in Westfield MA. LEAP is another a very good club , Scat and SNEAK. So much opitunity.

bobh

Lunar,

They offer classes at Exercise Finished in Chicopee which is very close to you (and also where Clean Run is located). ACE does classes in a barn in (I think) Palmer which is really close too. Someone else teaches (again, I think) in Agawam. Tails-U-Win in Machester, Ct is only about 30 mins away and has classes for all levels. So there's lots around you!

Wow, I didn't know there was so much around here! That's great! I'm actually in Westfield - I need to update my profile - so Palmer is a bit of a drive. Chicopee is definitely closer, I'll have to look into that one, for sure.

Pat - Both dogs have been through beginner's obedience and have the basics down. I was going to do an intermediate class with Zoe before moving on to agility, but unfortunately timing was an issue because we visited my parents for two weeks, right in the middle of when lessons would have been. Zoe is a year and (almost) 3 months, Zeeke is 3 years old.

Zoe has a "touch" command, but it's a "touch my hand", not a "touch that object". I think I'm going to teach her another command to smack something with her paw. A tippy board will be super easy to make, so I'm definitely going to do that - Zoe's going to need a lot of practice with stuff like that. She also needs work with tunnel-type things, but unfortunately those are expensive. I might try to find a kid play tunnel for her to practice with for now.

You can get a kiddie tunnel farely cheap. Petsmart has a starter agility set:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441809733&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302036883&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=115619036 3896&itemNo=4&Ntt=agility&In=Dog&previousText=agility&N=2023689://http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...ility&N=2023689

It is ~$60 which isn't exactly cheap but compared to the prices for the "real" equip...

The set is okay. The tunnel is very short but that might be better for Zoe. The jump is a joke. The weave poles and down "table" are good for practicing. I'll bring it out if we ever have our get-together.

Too bad we didn't get to have the dogs meet-up this weekend. Dublin and Zeeke could have had a tug match! Dublin didn't find anyone to tug with until right when we were leaving...

Well if you're in Westfield you should go to the Westfield Fairgrounds (Russellville Rd, not too far off 10/202) this Sunday because a local club is having a USDAA Nov/Starters trial. It should start around 8am and go thru the afternoon.

If you search here for MA (just search for MA, no other criteria) you'll find lots of local places, but Chicopee is probably the closest.

http://www.cleanrun.com/agilityinfo/clubs/clubsearch.cfm

CLW is correct, the general briefing is at 8 and the first dog will be on line soon after. I have 2 dogs in 22 inch and my wife has 1 in 22inch . It should be lots of fun !Come out and watch!

Lots of young dogs will be there all types all americans as well as other breeds.

If you have a chance talk with Ray Wheeler he is very good and goes out of his way to help Newbes!

bobh

Excellent! I will be there! :rolleyes: Without the dog(s) I am assuming? (I'm always looking for more opportunities to socialize Zoe)

Ijust did a search on cleanrun.com - found the trainer that I had talked to on saturday (out of Otis), ACE and the one in Chicopee. I've contacted them all and will somehow have to decide where to go.

Kerry, thanks for that link. $60 is definitely do-able. The tunnel definitely could be used, as could the weave poles. I'll have to talk to hubby.

Natalie,

Even with the older dog you can do the backyard exercises to help them understand what you are doing. Use a trash can in the backyard to help a dog to understand moving away from you. I use the out command which means move away from me. As I said the ladder work will teach him out to use himself and where his feet are. Some commands people use for contacts are Bottom, Spot, Lie down (which is what I use) and so forth. You can use anything you want for a command I know someone who uses "Doo-da" as a command for the weave poles, another uses "Wiggle". As for getting a tunnel, SOMETIMES an agility club will raffle off or simply sell very reasonably an older piece of equipment. There are several websites that have classified ads for used agility equipment. You might also want to join the cleanrun Yahoo group and/or subscribe to the magazine. The older issues have plans on how to build your own equipment. What ever course you take and when you get to competing in agility..and you will trust me...remember "Run Clean, Run Fast, HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, Pat! I was definitely planning on practicing with Zeeke as well, he needs to burn off energy in a way other than "harass the cat and neighbors." :rolleyes: He just won't need the same kind of work and repetition as Zoe will.

I'm thinking of subscribing to Clean Run. Will have to think about that.

I feel a little sad doing this though - I always wanted to do agility with Oreo, but was a broke student. She would never have been fast (she's a pokey one), but she and I worked so well together. She would have been so much fun to train. Ahhh well, no time for regrets, right? I have two more doggies needing my time and attention.

Hi Natalie,

Even after 3 years of agility classes, we're still going every week and don't plan on stopping. The dogs can learn the basics of the equipment fairly easily, but there is so much more to agility, especially for the human part of the team! A big part of that is learning how to teach your dog exactly what you want.

You can learn a lot from Clean Run, but a good trainer is essential if you want to be able to learn to be a good agility team with your dog.

It is addictive!

Tenaya (our BC) and Willow (the collie) both just starting doing trials a couple of months ago. Tenaya is insanely fast and challenging to handle but fortunately my husband is the one who has to deal with that (most of the time!) :rolleyes: Willow is a smidge slower and easier to manage.

Deanna in OR