BC Boards

Puppy Mother Relationship

I want to start by saying I have no plans of breeding, but my future puppy's mom is a local dog and will have chances to play with my puppy after I bring it home. I was curious for those of you that have had a litter and kept a pup or have let your dogs play with their mom dog after bringing them home; do the puppies and mom seem to remember eachother or does the puppy just become another dog to the mom after they move to their new home?

I'm only curious it makes no difference to me :)

I think it really depends entirely on the bitch - and possibly on the pup. I've known bitches who loved and indulged their puppies their entire lives. I've known bitches who would greet their now-grown pups with a perfunctory hello and then wander off. And I've known bitches who could not wait to get those toothy little leaches off them and away. :P And later they would barely acknowledge their pups.

My Aussie's mom would just give her a sniff then walk away. My border collie's mom growled from her kennel and told them to buzz off. :P But as I said, some mamas always love their pups. So you just never know.

~ Gloria

Many years ago, I had mom and daughter. They where inseparable their whole lives. The daughter was her mom's shadow (I understand now that she never truly developed her own personality as she always followed her mom's lead). They always slept together and truly loved each other. Neither had separation anxiety involving the other one and where perfectly fine on their own, but loved doing everything together. When the mom died, the daughter didn't visibly pin for her, but the fact is she steadily deteriorated health wise and also died less than a year later. I think she truly missed her.

I'm not sure, though, how much it was them being mom and daughter, and how much it was living together their whole lives.

I haven't had this situation in my own pack but have been around it in someone else's household. What I observed there was that the mother dogs never forgot their puppies and always greeted them in a special way. And were much more tolerant of them than they would have been to other dogs who were not their offspring.

My dog ran after his mother at the Bluegrass. When they met up in the exhaust area, she flagged him and tried to get him to mount her. He tried to mount her. It was so awkward. I would like to think that she didn't remember that he's her son. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have five dogs, Zorro, Xena , Rusty Jess and Meg. Zorro and Rusty twice had pups. Each time a pup stayed behind - Jess now 5 and Meg, soon to be 4. Rusty is cool with Jess, (she and Xena don't always like each other) but in a lot of ways as far as she's concerned Meg's "puppy license" has yet to expire. Meg can stick her nose in her mother's food bowl where any other creature would immediately get first the stink eye and soon after war will be declared.

It would be very interesting to see what she would make of her other pups should she meet them. Maybe I should arrange a meeting before we move away from the area. The other pups all live locally.

• 2 weeks later...

I am friends with the breeder of my Solo. When he was under 4 months, she would play with him and be sweet ... normally she doesn't play with other dogs at all. Now that he's 8 months old, she seems to treat him like another dog in the family. She's accepting of him, but if he happens to step on her when she's sleeping, she doesn't care one bit that he's her son ... she tells him off!