BC Boards

Tiny Rally brag

Well...we entered our first rally trial this last Sunday.

Out of a class of 47 (!!!!) we took 3rd. 99 points (my fault) with a time of 57 seconds. 1st and 2nd were stuffy obedience folks with times into 1:45! Damn them!

That was with Buddy. Marzipan was the entertainment for the day and put on a nice show! She still got a Q, but with only 96 points. Not too bad considering the HUGE amount of people in the class!

I really enjoy watching the stuffy yank and crank obedience folks go down in a ball of flames! It evens out the playing field. It was fun, easy and everyone had a good laugh.

Denise

Congratulations ! I feel a bit silly congratulating you ! You have given me such great advice in the past - don't feel like I have the qualifications.. silly, eh ?! Didn't really know what rally was, and so searched the boards and got a brief outline. I'm going to check and see if we have it here ( but I doubt it ).BTW, have made a teeter for Dylan and he LOVES it. Totally fearless - I've been trying to go really slowly with it to build his confidence and have fun, but he is soooo eager to do it - I have to rethink how to do things so as not to dampen his enthusiasm !

Thanks Zoe -

If you guys have rally out there I highly recommend it. It's quite the hoot. Funny and so low key it's sick. You can actually walk around the ring pretending to have a treat in your hand saying "lookie! I've got nummies! Yummy! Treat time!" while you run through the rally ring.

It's very goofy!

Denise

Rally is a lot of fun. We started in it originally to learn how to memorize and go through a course, as a preliminary step for Agility. My husband and Tenaya went through all three levels earlier this year, squeaking through a few times due to kind judges :rolleyes: and then doing really great in some of the trials. Tenaya even earned us some nice wine glasses, one weekend.

Then there is my Collie who thinks Rally is just "TOOO BORING, MOM", compared to Agility.

The really fun part is walking the course at the start, with your "invisible dog"--I talk to her, act goofy just like I will when she and I run the course together--I'm sure spectators think some of us are nuts!

Deanna in OR

Congrats to you! That's an excellent job that you did!

You can actually walk around the ring pretending to have a treat in your hand saying "lookie! I've got nummies! Yummy! Treat time!" while you run through the rally ring.
The differences between AKC and APDT Rally are really interesting. In APDT, you would be NQ'ed for "luring" if you did that so blatantly. In APDT, you can reward at specified places on the course, but if the judge sees you pretending that you have food in your hand to get your dog to do anything, you either get a major points deduction, or you NQ, depending on how deliberate it looks or how much you do it.

You really have to watch that your hand signals don't look like a "lure" in APDT Rally. We NQ'ed on that one time!