BC Boards

Dampening mat for BC jumping out of larger car?

Hey Folks,

I have an 8 year old BC and a large sized SUV. He gets about a dozen car rides a week. He is able to get in and out just fine, but I'd like to get a mat that is maybe 3-4 inches thick and maybe a few square feet (with a durable cover) that I keep in the car to help absorb the impact when he jumps out of the car. Getting in is no problem.

I know I can get stairs, and of course eventually will like I did with my last BC, but right now I'd like to investigate materials that help to dampen that exit impact (invariable he is jumping onto concrete) - also, I'm able to lower the car a bit before he gets in/out.

Just curious if anybody does something similar or has any ideas about where to purchase something like this. I've done a little research, but nothing sticks out.

Thanks,

-Willie

Cut something like a wrestling mat to size?? Or buy a piece of 3-4 inch thick heavy duty foam, cut to size, and bring it to an upholsterer for them to sew a cover (of vinyl or some sort of washable fabric).

My dog had shoulder surgery 5 years ago, and since then I have always lifted him down from the car. His shoulder seems fine (normal gait, and he is checked several times a year by a rehab vet), but I don't want to risk re-injuring the shoulder (nor do I want to pay for surgery again!).

Old dog bed, maybe some scraps from a foam/upholstery place - where they sell futons and those fold out chairs? The one close to me sells dog beds as well, with your choice of color cover.

Does anyone you know have an old footstool or hassock? Or, could you train your pup to 'land' on one of those plastic milk crates and make it a 2 step process, rather than straight to the ground from the SUV?

If you know anyone who is getting rid of yoga mats, those would be easier to cut than wrestling mats. Or the mats they make for camping, that go under sleeping bags.

A world of possibilities!

Ruth and SuperGibbs

Thanks Urge-to-herd and gcv-border, all of a sudden I see opportunities to use what I have. I bought a previous memory foam bed for my last BC when he couldn't get up/down off the bed - perhaps it's time to take that out of storage and cut off a section and have somebody make a cover for it.

Thanks for your practical advice.

I would recommend something a bit stiffer. I can definitely see the reasoning behind wanting a mat to reduce the impact forces but I wouldn't use something with a lot of give to it. Soft surfaces tend to create unstable landing points. This can lead to excessive torque on the joints as the dog tries to stabilize itself. At least that's my first thought and that is just me applying my knowledge of how people (and their knee's) handle soft surfaces. I am just assuming soft surfaces would cause similar problems for dogs. I like gcv-border's first thought of wrestling mat material.

An old bouldering (rock climbing) crash pad might do. New ones can be pricey. They are often constructed to fold or roll for portability.

What about start using a ramp?

Sorbothane Vibration Damping Sheet Stock 50 Duro (1/4 x 12 x 12in)

Isolate It! Sorbothane vibration isolator sheets are versatile anti-vibration pads that can be used as feet, stops, spacers and protectors in many different applications. The unique Sorbothane ultra-soft urethane is a durable, resilient, polymer that provides outstanding vibration isolation and non-skid properties. Sorbothane isolators help absorb impact and noise and have excellent resistance to aging; they will not harden or crack over time. They feature a smooth, clean, black urethane surface. Use them on any audio and electronic equipment to prevent skipping and interference.

More is not better. A large lightly loaded sheet will have a high spring rate and will not deflect enough to provide good isolation. Over compression will lead to short service life. The proper compression range is 3 to 20 per cent depending on the "Shape Factor." Shape factor is the ratio of contact surface (one side) divided by perimeter area. Geometry matters. Small circular pieces and rings "bulge" better than squares and rectangles. "Bulgeability" makes for better isolation. Use many small discs rather than a few large rectangles for best vibration isolation performance. Thickness matters. The thicker the sheet the lower the natural frequency. You need a sheet at least one-inch thick to get your natural frequency down to 10 Hertz. (10 Hertz is your target natural frequency for a 900 RPM motor.) Use the natural tackiness of Sorbothane or apply adhesives to glue the Sorbothane to metal plates on both sides or consider a custom design with molded-in stud mounts.

This sheet is perfect for cutting to meet the needs of special applications or can be used whole. Can be cut with scissors or a sharp utility knife.

Caution: This product contains plasticizer which may cause minor discoloration to wood, plastic, composite and other materials following prolonged contact.

http://www.amazon.com/Isolate-It-Sorbothane-Vibration-Damping/dp/B004LYGH3U?tag=duckduckgo-d-20

for more on the impact dampening properties of this material, go here: http://www.sorbothane.com/how-to-select-an-impact-damping-material.aspx