BC Boards

Adopting a HW+ dog?

I'm still lurking around here reading and trying to be prepared -- we're planning to adopt a Border Collie sometime in the next several months. As I've been watching the dogs that come and go through the rescue we plan to adopt from, it seems that it's not unusual for them to have dogs that are heartworm positive and have undergone treatment. That's not something I've dealt with before, and I'm having trouble finding information on the likelihood of long-term problems following successful heartworm treatment. Does it generally create health problems later, or limit the dog's activity level (after treatment is complete), or have a significant affect on the dog's longevity? Any other complications we should be aware of? Or is it not really a big deal once treatment is done? I assume it will vary based on the individual dog and the severity of the heartworms and any number of other factors, but for now I'm just looking at generalties. We're planning on getting a young adult, rather than a puppy or a senior, for whatever that might be worth.

My first dog a GSD/beagle cross was diagnosed with heartworm after we adopted her. She was young when we got her and she lived till around 15. We always felt the treatment did change her, she was no longer the high energy silly dog she was before, she just never seemed to have that level of bounce again, but it could also have been coincidence as she was around 2 when she was treated and it could have also have just been growing up, my husband and I were inexperienced dog owners so who knows.

the dog in my avatar, nova, was heartworm positive when I fell in love with her online pic and profile at a border collie rescue web page. I applied to adopt her, waited for what seemed like an eternity for her to recover from the heartworm treatment and then be strong enough for her spay surgery. it was worth the wait! what I ended up with is a fabulous agility dog. held back only by the incompetence of her handler. in herding, there is no quit in her and will work till she drops. once again held back by her novice handler. she will be 7 in sep. (at least that's when we celebrate) and I have had her for 6 of those years. I consider her of above average health with no injury or sickness that I would attribute to her having heartworm in the past. if all else is equal, don't let the heartworm hold you back.

HW treatment will not limit the dog once treatment is over nor have negative long term effects on the dog's level of health or life expectancy. In fact, depending on the level of infection, the dog's energy level may increase after treatment as they begin to recover. Left untreated, the parasite does shorten life span and have negative long term effects. I have fostered three dogs with heartworm, one I adopted. And he is very healthy and active today, years after the treatment. Best of luck to you!

Thanks, y'all! That's very encouraging. If there is any personality change after treatment I don't think that would be a big deal since they generally adopt the dogs out after treatment is complete, so we'd be looking at the "after" rather than the "before." My husband was just concerned that we'd get a dog with long-term compromised health and vet bills to go with it.