BC Boards

Quirky emergency down ?

I really want Dylan ( 13 months ), to have a failproof emergency down and started teaching him a few months ago. We went slow starting off with downs from a standing position. I decided to use "down!" as opposed to "lie down" which I use for regular use. Then I progressed to down on recall extending the distance as we went. I had a slight hiccup when he started walking really slowly in anticipation of my command instead of running to me on his recall, but we have fixed that now and I've been randomly asking him to down on recall for a while now. He is brilliant at it - even if he is running to me like a bat out of hell, he just drops. He is beautiful to watch and I am so proud of him as he lies there a ball of energy with his face lifted and ears pricked waiting for me to let him come to me. But it is only really a step on the way to having him down at any time and in any place. I decided about a week or two ago to practice as he is running away from me. I thought that while he was running for his ball would be asking for failure, so chose to practice on our way home from our outings. We are on dirt trails so it is safe and he is on a long leash ( about 5 metres ). I wait until I have overtaken him and when he is running to catch up and has run about 2 or 3 metres ahead I ask him to down. The first time he stopped immediately and turned round and looked at me as if to say "did I hear you right?", but downed ( rather slowly !) Today was maybe the 5th time and he downed like lightening but did a 180 degree turn so that he downed facing me. He has done this every time and I guess it is because I trained him on a recall and is used to facing me and waiting for my next command. It does look funny! It is not a huge problem, but I can imagine a situation where I may want him to down and keep his focus ahead whilst still listening to me. I think I am going to try to train him to do that. My question really is, has anyone ever experienced the same thing and how did you train a down without a 180 degree turn ? I have an idea how I might do it, but would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Hi Zoe,

Sounds like Dylan is doing so well!

I would be happy if Jazzy did that kind of down (when she is running away from you)! What kind of situation do you expect that you'd want him to face the other way and do a down? I think it's really cool that he turn around and face you then downs.

Inu, thanks. To be honest I'm not totally clear in my own mind apart from maybe if he was working sheep - I still haven't found a herding instructor , but was thinking of the future - but then I guess he wouldn't turn around to face me as he would be so focused on his job. I guess I just didn't think he would turn and it kind of threw me - it wasn't what I imagined would happen. Now that I think about it, if there was anything he did need to focus on or be aware of, he probably wouldn't turn around. So far there has been no distraction. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it then !!!

I am not sure how you would do a down without the 180. But I do know that I want my Addy to do that. She has a strong prey drive that goes after cars right now. If she would do a down stay with a 180 all the time then I would know her eyes and attention are on me and not still on whatever she was after. She stays on the leash until then.