BC Boards

size at 6 months?

Hey guys! So witten will be 6 months old on feb 9th! yaaay. Anyways, he seems SO short! Maybe it is just me (and let me be clear I could care less what he ends up looking like lol), but he just seems to stocky compared to other BCs I've seen at his age. His mom was petite but she was long and lanky/normal BC build. I didnt see the dad. Mom was a pet, dad a working dog. Both registered with the ABCA (waiting on witten's papers to come in). Do they 'sprout' at a certain age, or do I possibly just have a shortypants on my hands? (sorry about the crappy pics. its impossible to get him to stay still)

also..is there any way to look up his registration??

post-17016-0-85751300-1421769701_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-66421100-1421769709_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-47481900-1421769745_thumb.jpg

post-17016-0-13570000-1421769759_thumb.jpg

Hi, Witten is gorgeous, my pup Django is 10 months old now the first pics are of him between 6-7 months old and he measured aroung 18-19 inches at the shoulder and weighed around 30lbs (15kg) but really lengthened out as you can see in one of the photos. How tall is your Witten? what does he weigh? He doesn't look stocky to me, he will lean out a lot though in the coming months.

post-16799-0-36577900-1421802228_thumb.jpg

post-16799-0-10120800-1421802252_thumb.jpg

post-16799-0-36577900-1421802228_thumb.jpg

These next photos ar Django now at 10 months and as you can see he is quite large and his coat has become longer. He is 23-24 inches at the shoulder and around 44lbs but lean and fast!!!

post-16799-0-32636300-1421803026_thumb.png

post-16799-0-96967400-1421803044_thumb.png

post-16799-0-83954500-1421803064_thumb.png

Like you said it doesn't matter how big they end up as long as they are healthy and happy :)

post-16799-0-97932900-1421802275_thumb.png

my scale is out of batteries so i havent weighed him. i will have to do that soon and measure him! and your little is so handsome too! love his eyes. i guess witten's legs just seem to stumpy lol. maybe its just me :P

Thanks he is really big for his age though so I wouldn't use him for comparison, he's bigger than most adults now :blink: Witten will soon be at the leggy stage, dont worry I was the same always worrying if Django was grownig properly but the thing is, I now miss him when he was smaller and more puppt like :wub: though Border pups are a handful so it's no surprise we don't get a moment to fully appreciate them in the early stages.

thanks guys! lol yea i was laughing at him and used to tease him he was half corgi. he was so stumpy and long hahaha. hes my little turd...definitely a goober. he LOVES paper. he will chew on a bone or toy for a little but if he can reach the toilet paper or any type of magazine he goes nuts with it.

omg! lol. my husband freaks out. thats his biggest gripe about witten. that and his dribbling. he loves to dribble pee through the entire house. there is prob so much urine we have missed the last few months im scared to blacklight. he hasnt actually squatted in peed in a few weeks and he knows to go to the door but sometimes he just walks around dribbling a line of pee. its sooooooo annoying

I'm certainly no expert and I don't have a male dog, but I think the urine dribbling would be something to ask the vet about, just to be safe.

His proportions don't look odd to me, but I also lovingly tease my Penny that she's short, as she certainly isn't as leggy as other border collies I've seen. :) I really should measure her, I think she's maybe 18-19 inches.

Border collies come in all shapes! He may just be a little short-legged in appearance, but he may still sprout a little more height.

Per the "dribbling," is this an excitement puppy thing or just randomly dribbling pee? If it's the latter, I'd have him checked for a urinary tract infection.

He's a cute little dude! :)

~ Gloria

i honestly think its a 'im too occupied to go to the door' kind of pee. or if he goes to the door and we are busy with our toddler...he waits until he is going to burst THEN goes to the door. i think its just puppy dribbles. my friends male rottie is doing the same thing. little brats.

i honestly think its a 'im too occupied to go to the door' kind of pee. or if he goes to the door and we are busy with our toddler...he waits until he is going to burst THEN goes to the door. i think its just puppy dribbles. my friends male rottie is doing the same thing. little brats.

There was a point in Aed's life where he was being taken out every 45 minutes all day long so he wouldn't have an accident. Of course he spent some crate time out of that, so for example he'd eat dinner in his crate, then stay there for about twenty minutes because he'd never pee in there. Then he'd go straight outside (carried if necessary) until he peed and get praised a ton for it.

Pip used to leave snail trails of pee as a pup if I wasn't quick enough to get him outside. At least the girls just leave a puddle, lol. That said, if he's dribbling through the house you might want to revise your management practices after having him checked by a vet. 10 months is a bit old for routine pee accidents, IMO.

J.

Pip used to leave snail trails of pee as a pup if I wasn't quick enough to get him outside. At least the girls just leave a puddle, lol. That said, if he's dribbling through the house you might want to revise your management practices after having him checked by a vet. 10 months is a bit old for routine pee accidents, IMO.

J.

I believe the dog in question is only about 5.5 months.

he didnt have ANY problems at my grams the last 3 days. no dribbles or anything but he got to go outside a lot more because its fenced and i dont have to stand in the cold lol. he also plays nonstop at home and drinks a TON more water when we are here vs when he was at my grams. so i think its just being too occupied.

ya is water obsessed. my black lab was like that when he was a puppy too....my lab was a rescue and my BC was an outside dog before we got him so not sure how much water was given to them so it might just be because hes afraid it will go away