BC Boards

Dog became suddenly really needy

Cody & Duchess

Female 8 yr old dog all of a sudden really needy. Wants to sleep in my arms, glued to me. She has had bad elbows for years, her activity level is really good....so they do not recommend surgery because they could not improve what she has. Plays frisbee everyday for at least three sessions. Has started to sit down on her walks. Just sits, looks around, then proceeds. Eats well, body functions great. I can massage her legs with no reaction from her other than drifting off to sleep....so I think no pain. She is on salmon oil...no pain meds.

Have a vet appt...other than saying she has become like glue to me and this new sitting down on walks ...what should I ask for? Something is not right. My sister asked me is I was physically okay..maybe he dog was reacting to that? ( I am fine)

It could be that she just picked up a funny personality trait, maybe I am just a worry wart.

Yes, she is spayed. She has always been connected with me...but wanting to sleep with her head on my shoulder is new. She acts like she needs me to comfort her.

Just want to make sure during the vet visit I do not overlook anything. I have even thought maybe her eyesight is impacted. Since when she sits down in the walks she looks like she is surveying her kingdom with her nose in the air.

I ran into behavior changes with 9 year old Quinn earlier this year, including separation anxiety which had never been a problem. The vet ran some basic blood work which all came back fine, but at my pressing checked some more and found low B 12. With B 12 shots, we got that back to normal but last test showed low folate. Both are indicators of small intestine disease even though I am not seeing any issues with stool or throwing up. The low B 12 can also cause behavior issues.

I am glad you are looking into possible medical issues for her behavior change. Please let us know what you find out.

I'd think any kind of discomfort, pain (different from the pain you're checking for in her joints), or otherwise not feeling well could potentially be a culprit.

I'm glad you're taking her to a vet. It would worry me if it were my dog, too.

Please keep us posted. And best wishes that it's not something serious.