BC Boards

Sudden Rear Lameness in Cold Water

Camden's Mom

I weird thing has been happening and I'm not finding any info about it online. I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Camden likes to take a quick dunk in the creek near us once the weather starts getting warmer. He's already gone in a few times this year even though the water is still very cold. He seems happy as a clam but then comes out and is suddenly lame in his back end. Sometimes he will be lame in both legs and sometimes he will hold up just one of his back legs. Within 30 seconds (at the most) he's back on his feet bounding around like nothing happened. There's absolutely no sign of lameness or limping afterwards.

We're still doing stretches/massages several times a week as part of his hip dysplasia rehab and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary (like a sudden acute injury). Any ideas?

I wonder if it is a muscle contraction thing. Is he usually rather hot when he goes in? Like after playing?

Yes, the creek spot is at the tail end of our walk after he's had some time to romp and play. He goes in for a "cooling off" and a quick drink. This didn't happen last year but I also don't remember if he went in this early...