BC Boards

K9 Carts?

Root Beer

Now, on the other end of the life spectrum . . .

Have any of you ever gotten one of these for a dog who has rear end mobility issues?

Sammie is getting to the point where sometimes his back legs fall out from under him. It doesn't happen a lot. He is still able to pull himself up and keep going. But I am starting to see it happen more and more.

He is otherwise healthy. I mean he's 14 and 1/2 but he eats, he plays, and his front end is strong as an ox!! He had a really rough time this winter, but now that the weather is breaking, he seems like he may well get along fine for at least another summer.

http://www.k9carts.com/

So, I am looking at this option to give him support so he can go for easy, flat walks this coming spring/summer. I see that many of the dogs still have their rear legs on the ground and moving - this serves as a kind of "walker" for those dogs, and that's what I would be looking at for Sammie.

I actually took him in for a "consult" recently and, aside from a UTI which has responded well to treatment, the only thing wrong with him is that he doesn't have much muscle left in his back legs.

I know this is a short term investment, and it really is to increase his quality of life. And to make the most of the time that he and I still have together. At this point whatever time I still have with my first dog is a rather treasured gift.

Input - thoughts? Experiences, maybe, with one of these or something like it.

Kristine - I have a friend with an Aussie who's had neurological issues with his hind end for a couple of years now. His condition is a bit of a long story but to make it short, my friend was at the point of having him euthanized as it was that bad. The rehab therapist (same one I take Celt to) suggested a cart (Waggin Wheels is the brand they chose) and it made a huge difference for this dog. Along with his therapy and whatever other treatments he was receiving, the cart restored his mobility, allowed him to strengthen his front end and well as regain some strength in his hind end, and now he can get about without his cart in the house and yard (he does still use it for longer times and distances). He adapted to it quickly and while his owner did have to de-clutter a bit (the wheel base is a bit wider for stability), he could get around the house very nicely with it. She has multiple dogs and it has not been an issue at all.

If you'd like to contact her, I can give you her email. I'm sure she'd be willing to share her thoughts and experiences.

Very best wishes for Sammie and you!

I think it's a really bad idea under the circumstances you describe. I'd try to keep him on his rear legs as much as he can tolerate. If he is walking and moving, try to keep those legs strong.

If you decide to go ahead with cart, use it as a back-up for longer walks, or more intensive stretches of exercise. Pull it along with you, so he can be be placed in it in the event he's looking wobbly.

What did your vet or physical therapist say about whether and/or how to use such a device? -- TEC

A cart can be adjusted to either keep the feet off the ground (in the case of a paralyzed dog) or allow the hind legs to function within their ability (some have booted, flexible hind leg supports that allow the dog to use the hind legs *as they can* without scraping the feet on the ground). A properly-adjusted cart can enable a dog to actually gain strength in the hind end while supporting weakened hind legs and providing balance that the dog may not longer be able to have on its own.

If you have access to a therapist that is familiar with using carts, he/she should be able to determine if a cart would be a good idea and then recommend one that is well-suited to Sammie's needs if that is the case.

I recommend these harnesses to all my clients whose dogs have mobility issues. Love them! I used them for hiking and mountain climbing, but they are great for providing support to unsteady legs.

Does he fall while walking in a straight line, or only when turning?

I recommend these harnesses to all my clients whose dogs have mobility issues. Love them! I used them for hiking and mountain climbing, but they are great for providing support to unsteady legs.

Does he fall while walking in a straight line, or only when turning?

Straight line, I think, although I have say that I haven't really watched to note that. But he is almost always moving in a straight line.

I think that what happens is that he loses his footing, even a little, and down he goes. He doesn't have the ability to adjust his stance to re-balance himself.

A cart can be adjusted to either keep the feet off the ground (in the case of a paralyzed dog) or allow the hind legs to function within their ability (some have booted, flexible hind leg supports that allow the dog to use the hind legs *as they can* without scraping the feet on the ground). A properly-adjusted cart can enable a dog to actually gain strength in the hind end while supporting weakened hind legs and providing balance that the dog may not longer be able to have on its own.

If you have access to a therapist that is familiar with using carts, he/she should be able to determine if a cart would be a good idea and then recommend one that is well-suited to Sammie's needs if that is the case.

Good idea. I'm not sure if the physical therapist that I work with for Dean has experience with carts, but I can certainly ask. He would be a good person to consult about the possibility.

And yes - that is what I would like to see happen - even if he can't gain strength, if he can maintain what he still has, it would be very good. :)

If you decide to go ahead with cart, use it as a back-up for longer walks, or more intensive stretches of exercise. Pull it along with you, so he can be be placed in it in the event he's looking wobbly.

What did your vet or physical therapist say about whether and/or how to use such a device? -- TEC

Yes, that would be the plan. Not an all the time kind of thing. Our house isn't really set up in a way to accommodate something like this, so it would be for exercise walks, in particular.

His vet is supportive of anything that will prolong his quality of life. Talking to our canine physical therapist is a great option. :)