BC Boards

Forgetting his name....

This dog drives me crazy(Jinx, almost 6 1/2 months). He is so incredibly smart and such a quick learner. Recently, in the past couple weeks, he seems to have "forgotten" his name(selective hearing). And his recall hasn't gotten much better either. So we've been on a long line, reeling him in if he doesn't come. Is this "normal" is there anything I can do besides this. I have control unleashed the puppy program.(says not to do anything if you call their name and they don't react, just wait for them to turn and look at you)

When I call his name and he takes forever I'll click and praise when he finally looks, when he turns around immediately we throw a big party and I'll play tug with him or wrestle or whatever. Should I give a tug on the line if he doesn't look within a few seconds? Hoping this is something he outgrows...

I have control unleashed the puppy program.(says not to do anything if you call their name and they don't react, just wait for them to turn and look at you)

Just to clarify - this is when you are training the whiplash/recall game. Not when you are in a real life situation where you need to get your dog!

I would go back to training indoors and really shore up that whiplash word. In fact, I might just go ahead and start fresh with a new one for the time being and refrain from using it until it is super strong in training.

Another thing that I have found helps, when transitioning from training situations to real life, is to start off calling from short distances - reinforce heavily - and increase the recall distance incrementally. They don't have to be tiny increments, but I'm not going to start off recalling from 100 feet away! I'll start 5 feet away, increase to 10 or 15 feet, increase to 25 feet or so, etc.

Finally, a game that I have found to be HIGHLY effective is a recall game between two people. Again, this starts as an indoor training game. To play with a clicker, each person has a clicker and treats. First person calls the dog. As with the whiplash turn, as soon as the dog begins to turn toward that person - click - and drop the treat by your feet. As the dog is finishing that treat, the second person calls the dog, as soon as the dog begins to turn toward that person - click - and drop the treat at your feet. Repeat, repeat. Increase distance and take it outside when the dog is ready. You can also do this with toy play with the "recaller" instead of treats. I always start with treats, but you don't really have to.

That is not only a great game to introduce a recall, but to keep the recall word fresh. My Dean Dog is going on 8 and he has a fantastic recall, but he still loves this game and my husband and I play it with him on occasion to amuse him (usually with no external reinforcers, just "upsnuggles" and a big fuss over him when he gets to the recaller, but he is "advanced" at it). I always notice even more "sharpness" in his recall afterward.

I hope some of that helps. A good recall is worth a lot of legwork.

I think this is perfectly normal, he will improve again, and them probably get worse again as well. It seemed like Timber spent the first 14 months or so having 6 good weeks of wonder puppy then 6 weeks weeks of evil devil dog and back again. He's been pretty great for about 4 months...good luck.

The pass the dog game is fun, you can use more than two people. Like Kristen we occasionally still play it. Another game that is fun is running away, be engaged with your dog and runway they should chase you, call them as they are chasing you, I rewarded with more play, repeat. I used to take Rievaulx to a local part, and play runaway games with him, I used to get some very strange looks but he had loads of fun.

Rievaulx now has a really good recall, but it took time and to be honest it was not bullet proof till he was over 2, he is 4 now and I still practise it all the time, playing games to see how softly I can say his name, to him coming back to me is a game not a command, sitting is a command. None of my dogs have had a recall like his it still amazes me, I took one thing to heart which was always be happy when they come back and I think this is really the key.