BC Boards

Is there such thing as 100 % Recall?

INU

The instructor in our class said to train a great recall, do this:

Three times a day, call your dog to you when you KNOW the dog will come.

When the dog reaches you, time yourself and for 30 seconds reward, praise, bounce around, have a party, play with toys, everything your dog absolutely loves. You want to make this fantastic, amazing, wonderful 30 seconds happen three times a day and make a HUGE impression on your dog (I went over there when she said that word and I got TONS OF COOL STUFF!!!!!!).

Tess has the 2nd best recall in her class. (: The first best is the dog who is repeating the class for more socialization and is older than she is. :rolleyes: Tess is the only Border Collie, and also the only dog who keeps an eye on her person the entire time, no matter what she is doing.

Of course, Tess sleeps with one eye open to make sure I do not go do some fun thing without her. (: I do work from home and she spends almost 24/7 with me, so that helps. I am also very lucky in that she does not have any separation anxiety and I can leave her in her crate if I go do errands where dogs are not welcome.

Allie & Tess

Do give it a try. Other times when you want the dog to come to you but it is not party time :rolleyes: just use the dog's name, or shout "cookies" or let her see you and then run away as fast as you can, with one of her toys. :D

The running away thing really works very well with Tess. It works great the dog park. Tess is pretty independent (she will find her own entertainment elsewhere if not tethered in my office while I am working!) so making myself really interesting (hiding squeaky toys in my coat pockets, or hiding treats in my pant cuffs) has worked to keep her just nearby as well.

And of course you know not to every call your dog to you if you're going to do something she doesn't like. :D Just walk over and get her instead, still give treats, etc. just do not use your recall cue.

Allie & Tess