BC Boards

Jump Ralph....jump

Hi - me again

I want my dog Ralph to be a bit more energetic, and there's one thing that puzzles me - how do i get him to jump over something with a gap in it. What I mean is if we come to a fence, I would like him to use a bit of energy jumping over it, but as there is a gap underneath he will always take the easy route (dont get me wrong I dont blame him!!!) when i tel him to jump over he sort of looks at me for a second, then goes underneath. How do i get him to resist temptation to take the easy way and get him to leap gracefully (??!!) over the obstacle?

Agility trainers often start with the bar on the ground or only a few inches off the ground. It teaches the dog to go through the uprights, as well as responding to the verbal command. A key point in this (as opposed to fences) is that the bar is DISPLACEABLE. I'd be very leary of having a dog jump any fence where injury was possible. (Yeah, 99% of the time they'd clear it just fine, but....)

diane