BC Boards

Zeke tore a nail

Tommy Coyote

Poor little guy. He is really hurting. Unfortunately, he didn't tear it far enough that they could just pull it off. So he's having minor surgery to take the nail off. It's always something when you have dogs.

I just didn't feel like i could leave it like it is right now because it hurt so bad. Eventually it would just fall off but who knows how long that would take.

Buddy seems to break or tear a nail right down at the base about once a year. It's good when it happens during the daytime and my vet charges $40 to trim it down and patch it up. It's bad when (twice) it happens on a weekend night, and the e-vet charges $188 for the same service.

But you're right - it really, really hurts them. When my guy has a torn nail, all he will do is sit and lean Very Hard against me. (His posture of pain.) It's absolutely pathetic, and I can't let him go through the night in that much pain. ::Sigh::

Good news is that as soon as the nail is trimmed, Buddy is back to normal.

Mary

When mine has done that, I throw a wrap on it until the vet can take care of it. Then I keep it wrapped for about a day longer. By then it has started to dry out and isn't so raw feeling and they just go on their merry way.

Asa had the same thing happen 2 yrs ago. They did surgery to remove the nail, then she had to wear a bandage for a couple of weeks. She looked like she had on a boxing glove, and hobbled around on 3 legs with her front paw in the air--pitiful!!!