BC Boards

Something's "tickling" my dog

5Bordercollies

This has been a recurring problem for some time, but the last few days it seems to have come back again with a bang. Zorro is my six year old male and he's had this problem with something "tickling" him, crawling around in his hair since he was a pup. He acts like he's got a horse fly in his hair, but there's nothing there. I've combed him out with a fine comb and there's nothing you can see. The doctor who bought three of his pups from me, reports they also get it. His solution to the problem is to shave them down in the summer. It seems to be more prevalent in the summer. they don't really get it in the winter. Short of also shaving him down, don't worry I won't shave him down to the skin, just shorter, what else can I try? He was bathed yesterday - dog shampoo. It didn't help. Please can someone help me help my buddy, he looks like he wants to go mad.

Thanks, Tommy, I doubt if it's an OCD type thing. Its not even an everyday thing, so I also don't suspect mites. He might do it two or three times in one day and maybe again a time or two the next day and then it might go away for some weeks. For example yesterday and the day before he had it quite bad, today nothing. It's so weird.

I would also wonder about anal glands. When my chihuahua needs her anal glands expressed she will all of a sudden turn around and bite at her back legs and tail and even spin in circles. She will then stop abruptly for a bit then repeat the behavior. I know this means that her glands are bothering her and need some work. As soon as I express them she will stop the behavior and not show it again until she needs it done again which can be anywhere from weeks to months.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into that possibility he usually drags his back end across the grass when his glands bother him, but will discuss the possibility with my vet and have him shoe me how to clean them. I have no idea how, or if someone can explain to me how I'd be much obliged. At least then I've ruled out thtat possibility.

Maja, thanks I've preety much ruled out anal glands. I have found an ouchie that seems to be the main source of the problem on his back. I've been slathering it in a zinc based ointment for a few days, if it is just a normal ouchie that ought to heal it, but so far it doesn't seem to have done much good and normally this ointment can heal almost anything in just a few days. I'm starting to get the feeling this might be a fungal type thing, very cscared of ringworm. think I will talk to dad and just take him to the vets monday. Because if it, heaven forbid, is ringworm I have four other dogs and four cats not even to speak of the humans. Iwill try and see if I can get some pics of it later. Tried taking some just now, but the little Nikon cameras' close-ups aren't much good.

Maja, when I found the place on his back, I asked my dad a pharmacist to take a look and it was he who suggested we first try the zinc ointment. We have applied this religiously now for several days, but I'm not seeing the desired results. H has promised to take a look tomorrow in case I'm being prejudiced. If he agrees we will see the vet this week. Have to go in on thursday anyway so if possible will arange it for then. We live 30 km's out of town on a farm with a very bad dirt road our only access so you try to combine trips as much as possible.

I hope it is not ringworm. I once rescued a pregnant cat from our parking lot at work. She birthed six or seven kittens. They all had ringworm after a couple of weeks. My vet said the mom must be a carrier. Two of my three cats got it also, even though the mom and kittens were isolated (those darn spores!). It was a nightmare! It took many months to get rid of it. Even then one of my cats would break out with a patch several times later in life when he would get stressed.

hi guys, just an update on Zorro. It was a tick bite. I feel like a monster for having missed it. I truly believed them to be flea and tick free. I suspect it was probably a "bontpoot" I unfrotunately don't know it's English name. It's a nasty little bugger, small easy to miss, but packs a powerfull punch. The bite develops into a would that creates like a small hole, hurts like crazy. The wound is doing good, the wound magic I'm applying really seems to be doing the job of healing it. Now to figure out what the cat's gone and done to his paw. He has an ouch on his back paw. Free roaming little bugger, hope he didn't catch anything frome the barn cats.