BC Boards

News is all over this recall of jerky treats from China

Tommy Coyote

But have you seen any new recall info? I haven't been able to find anything new - last recall from FDA was August, I think.

One of my customers asked me to check out her treats. She has Dingo treats that were make in China and Thailand.

Anybody know if those are OK? I put everything aside that was not made in the USA. But how do you know the ingredients were actually made in the US. What if they buy ingredients from China and then the actual treats are made here?

Just wondering.

Most of the treats were Minis and they all state they are made in the USA - or words to that effect.

Here is some more info on the products: http://www.petmd.com/news/topics/alert-recalls #

I'm telling everybody to not buy chichen, duck, or sweet potato jerky. It's easy to make. There are no current recalls on any of them because they don't know what is causing the problem. Until they have a cause, they don't mind that we are playing Russian roulette with our dogs.

Merrick lamb training treats say they're made in the USA. They have one ingredient: lamb lung. (They're basically chunks of freeze-dried lamb lungs; my dogs adore them). I don't think they could get away with importing lamb lung from China and then claiming "made in the USA".

http://www.amazon.com/Merrick-Sized-Canine-Training-Treats/dp/B0002EOVW2

I am new to the site but thought I would give a great treat brand my dogs love and are made in MN, USA. They are called Supreme healthy MAX. They have three different flavors for skin, bone and muscles. Mine love the skin and coat and I am using these right now on my 4 month BC puppy because it is rich in omega's to bring in a good healthy coat.

Those of you that have a dollar tree, you can buy them at their stores for a buck. These treats sell at other stores for $4.50 to $9.00 a bag. There is also a guy on ebay that has a pet store in the same town as the manufacture and he sells them on his ebay store for $3.00 a bag. I buy them at the online dollar tree site and have a case shipped to the store for pickup. The down side of getting these from the dollar store is they only ship to store.

They come in a heart shape. I cut them into 3 sections out of the heart to make pea size treats for training.

Sharon

Forgot to mention in my post the Supreme Healthy MAX treats are made with real protein meats and fish. The skin and coat is treats are made of real Salmon.

SOPHIE is getting her top med/long coat now over her puppy hair. It is feeling so much softer than the dense fluffy puppy coat she had. She also gets brushed daily.

Sharon

I was wondering...there are millions of pets. There are more people that buy treats from god knows were than people that are more distinct in their choices. 600 dead animals, 3600 ill. And they don't know a cause. Could this be not actually a true food problem? But kind of like a catch all type situation? I buy only US or Canada manufacture or sourced. Or make my own. No rawhides

Originally they thought it was a certain class of banned antibiotics that less than 10% of dogs, and humans BTW, have severe, often fatal, allergic reactions to. And in fact, NYSDAM did find traces of those antibiotics in the ones that have been recalled so far, but they aren't sure that explains the entirity of the problem. I don't know if FDA doesn't test for those or what, but FDA didn't find them, NYSDAM did. They are also speculating that the glycerin in some of them is industrial grade and not food grade, but I don't know how that will play out either.

Here is a copy of their investigation to date.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ProductSafetyInformation/UCM371485.pdf

Until reading this I had no appreciation for the fact that they are having to create the test for a number of things they need to test for. I thought the FDA was doing a piss poor job, but I have revised my opinion. They are attempting a near impossible task and doing better than the best they can at it. This just made me more adamant that I am going to work even harder at not buying anything Chinese.

• 2 weeks later...

And we complain about the Chinese.

Big business just cannot afford to have a sense of ethics, I guess.

I won't ever buy another Purina product. Not that I do now. I buy from the small guy who produces a good, high quality product. Costs a little more but not that much more.